Ignition system issues

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice
What's up guys? So I bought this new boat the other day and got a smokin' deal! I paid $250 for this thing! So I'm thinking there might be something fishy going on with the boat for the guy to let it go for that cheap. He told me it needed a new ignition switch, but he hot wired it the day before and went to the lake to fish. So I bought it, took it home and started checking some stuff. Battery's been checked and is good. I replaced the starter and the solenoid, but nothing is good yet. Today when I get off work I'm running to grab the ignition switch. My question to you guys is, if this doesn't give me any crank, what would be my next move? Thanks!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ignition system issues

Could you let us in on what engine, drive, ignition system, year of this "ignition issue" that sounds like a starting issue is?

r.j.dawg

Ensign

I would be real helpfull to know what model and year of engine you have. Serial number would also be helpfull to fully help diagnose. :)

thumpar

Admiral

Like others said and don't just keep throwing parts at it. Figure out what is wrong.

Don S

What is your engine not doing?

Cranking = engine turning with the starter engaged. Does not have to run to crank.

Starting = engine running without the starter engaged.

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, sorry guys. Its a 1975 5.0 Ford. Its a 302, model 888, 188hp with an Alpha 1. Serial #3978868. I know the ignition switch is a Conventional 3 pole.

Don S

Since you was probably typing when I posted you may not have seen my reply just before you posted.

If the engine isn't cranking over, check this thread http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=167035

If it's cranking and not starting, do you have spark?

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, so no it isn't cranking. I think the ignition switch is bad cuz when I go to start it, the lights on the dash dim. I don't think its sending it back to the starter. I'm replacing that today.
Thanks for the other thread!

thumpar

Admiral

It's pretty easy to just test this stuff before replacing.

What's up guys? So I bought this new boat the other day and got a smokin' deal! I paid $250 for this thing! So I'm thinking there might be something fishy going on with the boat for the guy to let it go for that cheap. He told me it needed a new ignition switch, but he hot wired it the day before and went to the lake to fish. So I bought it, took it home and started checking some stuff. Battery's been checked and is good. I replaced the starter and the solenoid, but nothing is good yet. Today when I get off work I'm running to grab the ignition switch. My question to you guys is, if this doesn't give me any crank, what would be my next move? Thanks!

Save your receipts.... those are the most expensive boats to own. :eek:

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

Alright thanks! I'm gonna try the ignition switch later, and let you guys know what happens. Here's a pic of my $250 gem. :)
553646_403608853034733_905373453_n.jpg

ampedzach

Seaman Apprentice

Hey guys,

Last night I went home and installed the new ignition switch. Once installed still nothing happening. I got a little disappointed and frustrated cause all I want to know is whether or not the engine is dead dead. So I decided to try and jump the starter. Well, it started cranking and I was trying to get it to spark and start running. I wasn't pushing it too much, but it wouldn't spark and catch. I'm wondering if there's something that I can do to see if the engine is alive? Should I replace all the spark plugs and wires?
Also, what is the problem with my ignition? Wires?

Don S

Last night I went home and installed the new ignition switch. Once installed still nothing happening.

That is because you didn't do any troubleshooting, just throwing parts at it and hoping for the best.
I posted this earlier, but you obviously didn't look at it. So I will try again.

CLICK HERE and read.