Ignition problem?

wnbklb

Cadet
I have a 2001 Merc 90 hp elpo outboard. When I turned the key, it started turning over (rapidly) immediately, but then just quit turning. I know it's not the batteries. My first instinct is to replace the ignition switch as it was getting to feel corroded inside and just not right. It has a 10-wire ignition switch (original); push to choke. What else could it be? I'm wondering about the starter solenoid or starter wiring? The switch is relatively cheap to replace, but that brings up another question: 10-wire switches are not available; mostly 6-wire replacements that are push to choke. Can anyone shed some light on how I wire the new switch? Also, any ideas on what else besides the switch might be causing my ignition/starting problem? Thanks in advance for any help!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Ignition problem?

Its better to get a OEM switch and it may be the starter solenoid.

bilge rat jim

Petty Officer 1st Class

Can you clarify your question? Is the starter turning when the key is in run position, or start position?

wnbklb

Cadet

The starter turned over rapidly, but all at once seemed to lose the juice to it and stopped turning at all while in the start position. Because the switch felt spongy/not turning smoothly, I thought it might be the problem. This 10-wire push to choke switch is no longer made. I've even seen other posts where responses included claims that this switch was not the original. This is the original switch but I've searched everywhere for an OEM like it without any luck. Other posts suggest you have to use one of the 6-wire switches and that's my only option. I'm getting frustrated with this issue and not being able to figure it out.

Last edited: