Ignition pigtal - 1993 Merc. 60 hp

Bill Wilson

Cadet
I have a 1993 Merc 60 hp. Recently I purchased some quicksilver gauges that I intend to connect to the short 5 pin pigtail that comes out of my remote control box (commander 2000, I believe). The pigtail also has a brown wire which doesn’t run through the pin – what is it for? Also, do any of the wires in the pigtail bypass the ignition switch so I can run some of my accessories without the ignition on?<br /><br />Thank you for your help<br /><br />bill

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Ignition pigtal - 1993 Merc. 60 hp

Not sure about the brown wire. Don't run accessories from the motor harness. You don't want a short in the boat to disable your motor leaving you stranded. Boat systems and motor systems should Always be separate. Besides, it's fused for the load of the motor and too much other stuff wll blow fuses and maybe melt wires.

Bill Wilson

Cadet

I believe the boat system was originally wired separate from the motor harness -- they both came together in a "junction" box before connecting to the battery. I will keep them separate.<br /><br />thanks for the input<br />b

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander

The brown wire is for the temperature gauge.

Bill Wilson

Cadet

Are these pigtails all pretty standard?<br />Any suggestions as to where I might purchase one?<br /><br />thanks<br />bill