Ignition conversion to electronic

cedgo

Seaman Apprentice
GM 4 CYL. 140hp
Boat runs like the scalded dog on points, but when I install the module, I lose ignition. Black to negative side of coil, red to positive.

Bad module? Poor mechanic?

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Ground connection's good?

Last edited:

nola mike

Vice Admiral
One of the idiot moves I do every couple of years is try to replace the distro cap, forgetting that the electronic cap is different. Scratch my head on why I not longer have a spark...

thumpar

Admiral
Make sure you are running a full 12v to the module. The coil probably has a ballist wire hooked up to it.

81 Checkmate

Lieutenant
Just a Suggestion - Put the points back in and run it. Is there a reason for the switch to electronic?

thumpar

Admiral
Just a Suggestion - Put the points back in and run it. Is there a reason for the switch to electronic?
Some people prefer it. Less maintenance and I noticed a little improvement at startup and topend on mine.

achris

More reliable.
Less maintenance.
Engine stays in tune much longer.
Better spark quality.
Spark plugs last longer.
Smoother running engine.
Less fuel consumed.

Do I need to go on?

Chris.......

cedgo

Seaman Apprentice
First, thanks for all the responses.
Will check for a positive 12v at the module.
I did NOT change caps. Is there a reason the original cap shouldn't work?
And, I did reinstall the points. All was well.
One more question. If 12v is not at the plus side of the coil, where should I get the 12v?

achris

First, thanks for all the responses.
Will check for a positive 12v at the module.
I did NOT change caps. Is there a reason the original cap shouldn't work?
And, I did reinstall the points. All was well.
One more question. If 12v is not at the plus side of the coil, where should I get the 12v?

If you have points, you will have a resistive wire between the key and the coil +. That's why you're not getting 12 volts at coil +. Best place to pick up 12 volts is the electric choke heater element feed, which should be purple in colour.

Chris.....

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
achris , and before vibrators were cucumbers and bananas.
Points are just as reliable as anything else and are user serviceable without special tools.Electronica are just an on-off switch. Either it works or it dosent.
Points can get so sloppy and they still make spark Nowadays people have forgotton how to repair things . Hell, they even forgot how to sharoen a pencil, now its electronic tablets.

achris

achris , and before vibrators were cucumbers and bananas.
Points are just as reliable as anything else and are user serviceable without special tools.Electronics are just an on-off switch. Either it works or it dosen't.
Points can get so sloppy and they still make spark Nowadays people have forgotten how to repair things . Hell, they even forgot how to sharpen a pencil, now its electronic tablets.

So, you still got to work on a horse? Your boat doesn't have an engine, just standard issue sails?

I'm not saying points are bad, just that electronics are better. And points are a long way outdated. So 1980s... As about the on water repairs, yes with points you need to know how to do it, but electronics are so much more reliable than that. ...and if you're so concerned about a failure (as unlikely as it is) why not just throw a set of point in the spares box and know that should the electronics fail you can just flip the points back in.

Chris.......

cedgo

Seaman Apprentice
OK. Thanks again.
There is 12v at coil when ignition is on: Key switch(12v) to starter relay, starter relay(12v) to coil.
Can not see a resistance wire in this circuit, but do have the purple resistance wire to carb(from coil).

achris

Without the points in position you will still read 12v through a resistance. That purple IS the resistance wire we're talking about. You need to run a new wire from the carb to the coil+. That will give you full 12v at the coil for the new electronic ignition module to feed on. Leave the existing purple resistance wire there, it won't do any harm. If you do have problems at sea (as per BT's worry^^) you can just lift the new wire out of the way and throw points back in the dissy and be back in the 1970s :D...

Chris.....