ignition conversion 15hp

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 75 15hp evinrude mod#15504. I am just wondering if anyone has converted from points to the electronic ignition{magnatune I think}? If so is it a better set up? Is it more reliable then points? Did you notice a change in performance{good or bad}? what kind of a job is it to change from the points to the electronic? What kind of money comparison is there saving or loosing? Thanks for any help.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: ignition conversion 15hp

Hi 20/20,<br /> I don't think the Magnatunes will work right on the '74-'76 ignition systems, as they are "maker" points, not "breaker" points. It's a low tension magneto system. Works alright when set-up right, but not always easy to do so. <br /> I think I would look for a CDI system off a 1977 or newer Johnrude 9.9/15hp. You'd need the armature plate, coils, CDI box (powerpack), flywheel and throttle cam. You'll have to either fabricate a braket to mount the CDI box, or if you have the option, steal the exhaust port cover and cylinder head off a 1977 or newer parts motor that has the mount built right in. The plug angles are different and the '74-'76 head won't clear the CDI box. This is the most involved way to convert it, but it's also the neatest when completed. An added bonus is that the '77 or newer exhaust port cover will give you an outlet to add a telltale...<br /> I've converted several of these and they run great with a lot fewer issues than the low tension mags...<br /><br />- Scott

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chinewalker;<br /> <br /> Thanks for the info I had talked to a person in NAPA and that is what he said would work{magnatune}. Last year I went through and put points etc.. in and it seems to run pretty good, I was just wondering if the other set up would be better. Now you have shown me even another set up that may be the best {I'm so confussed}. I've heard that switching over is great by some and then some say stay with what ya got. I just want to make sure the old girl starts and runs everytime without any problems. Nothing worse then being out in the middle of a lake and having to tinker with an engine just so you can get home.

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Hi 20/20<br /><br />Just my opinion, but a well set up and maintained points system is as good as an electronic ignition system with the added bonus that you can tinker with it to get you home. When a power pack is busted there's not a lot you can do with it.

20/20

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks RPJS Like I said she seemed to run pretty good last year. I quess I should follow what I preach, "if it aint broke, don't fix it". I had just heard alot of talk from here and there about how great electronic ignition is. I don't mind points I quess I just worry about silly things from time to time.<br /> <br />Thanks again everyone for the thoughts