ignition coil question

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Are ignition coils marine specific or can I use a auto coil? If they are specific what is different? Thanks

yfzjim

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: ignition coil question

yes it is a can style coil. so a boat coil encounters more vibration? so should I opt for the marine coil? what do you experts think?

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

Are ignition coils marine specific or can I use a auto coil? If they are specific what is different? Thanks

As stated above, epoxy for sure. I use a pertronix flamethrower II, epoxy with points. Love it.

betayv

Senior Chief Petty Officer

if you go to NAPA and check the echelin book you will find differents coils and they will be for marine use, is different types of coils to use with or without external regulator

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Check again - marine coils are not all epoxy filled. Most (including OEM units)are just regular old oil filled coils. They hold up just fine with all that additional "marine" vibration.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Another spin to get a few more $$ outta you...
If these can survive in older 4X4 off road trucks..They can take a little chop out on the water! (Had standard coil in my old 71 Dodge 4X4, with a 3 inch frame lift, it jarred your teeth out)

Maybe not in a 30 foot offshore drag boat..but they wont have this system ayways!

180shabah

Rear Admiral

... but it was sprayed with black paint that has been "formulated for the marine environment."

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

A coil is one of the parts that don't have to be "marine". At least in my boat, the coil probably gets a lot less vibration than my car. It definitely is not getting as hot.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Sigh... All those engineers have it all wrong and a cheap coil is as good as one designed for the job.
Sigh...too bad the engineers don't work in the marketing department.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Sigh... All those engineers have it all wrong and a cheap coil is as good as one designed for the job.

Are you referring to the engineers at GM, Ford, Mercruiser and Volvo Penta that decided that an oil filled coil was to be fitted during production?????

There is no magic to an ignition coil, it is just a transformer. How many bad coils do we see here annually? Just a handful, and that is with almost 180,000 members. Most of the coil replacements on here were not needed, but done by people that started throwing parts at a problem before doing any actual troubleshooting.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I've got to tell you that I'm confused by what constitutes marine components. I don't think that many of us would purposely put our family or friends in harms way just to save a few dollars. The question is "what are the specific regulations or specifications for marine ignition components?"

TJDave

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My old boat just quit running a few weeks ago, and would not re-start. After getting it back home, I checked for spark at the plugs....there was none. Of course I assumed it was the coil. After many tips on what it could be, instead of the coil, spent hours checking wires, fuses, points etc. etc. I finally gave up and went and bought a coil for the darn thing. It fired right up. I bought a MSD automotive coil for it. Seems to work fine, but now I'm wondering if I should of bought a "marine" coil???:confused:
DSCN2164.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So who recommends epoxy coils only? Pertronix themselves recommended oil filled automotive coils with there electronic points conversion kits.

SO...is the Mallory oil filled coil not a proper coil since it is oil filled? They claim it is a "marine" coil.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I've got to tell you that I'm confused by what constitutes marine components. I don't think that many of us would purposely put our family or friends in harms way just to save a few dollars. The question is "what are the specific regulations or specifications for marine ignition components?"

There are certain compnents that need to be marine. Three examples would be the fuel pump, starter and alternator.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

...I bought a MSD automotive coil for it. Seems to work fine, but now I'm wondering if I should of bought a "marine" coil???:confused:

Your "auto" coils poses absolutely no safety risk, all the arcing and sparking is done at the other end of the wire. Your distributer and cap DO need to be marine rated, they will have additional ignition protection that automotive units may not.

...I will go with the recommended epoxy coil...

Recomended by whom? the engine manufacturer or the coil manufacturer?

I'm not saying that an epoxy potted coil is not a better unit. They are, but to infer that oil filled coils are not reliable is just untrue. They commonly last a decade or more in a boat. For though it is about availablilty, and in alot of smaller towns even the big name parts stores don't have the epoxy potted coils on the shelf. Now you've got TJDave, worrying about replacing a brand new coil that most likely will outlast the rest of the boat.

The original question was, what is the difference between an automotive coil and a marine coil. There isn't one.

Oil vs. epoxy is a totally seperate issue and should probably be discussed in a seperate thread.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

while marine coils are expoxy filled
Still an innaccurate statement. Marine does not = epoxy. Although they can be used.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

There are certain compnents that need to be marine. Three examples would be the fuel pump, starter and alternator.

I think it's rather odd that it's based on opinions rather that specifications, standards or regulations :confused:. No wonder there's so much disagreement.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I think it's rather odd that it's based on opinions rather that specifications, standards or regulations :confused:. No wonder there's so much disagreement.
Actually, there are Coast Gaurd regulations on the parts I just mentioned. None so on ignition coils and other engine parts. Only where there is a safety issue is there a regulation.

I will also add marine distributors and fuel injection systems to my list.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander

I was able to find the Coast Guard regulations here: http://www.uscgboating.org/safety/boatbuilder/index.htm

The exact build requirements for electrical components (External Ignition Protection ... ) I believe are in SAE J1171.

They also do a pretty good job of paraphrasing in the boatbuilders handbooks.

It doesn't look like the interior construction of coils is mentioned. Soooo - the requirement for an epoxy filled coil looks like a busted myth.

Personally, I'm a bit of a safety nut so would rather have an epoxy filled coil in case the case cracked. I don't like the idea of oil leaking on a hot engine but I suppose (regulation wise) it's the same as any other oil leak.

The regs are a bit boring and a chore to read but have some pretty good info.