If I exceed max hp????

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 22' Islander. It's rated to 175hp. It currently has a 120hp I/O. To complete this project I want an outboard. What are the perils of a 200hp outboard? Many have shown up for a reasonable price.

North Beach

Commander
Re: If I exceed max hp????

Those were recommended HP ratings based upon what was available at the time You should be fine with a 200 hp OB.

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's what I thought but I just wanted to check. Will the coast guard see otherwise?

HarryO60

Cadet

200 hp outboard probably weighs about the same as your current I/O. Depending on how you mount it, bracket or cutout transom, I would think some kind of stringer to transom bracing would be required. The current 21' Fishmaster is rated for 250hp so 200 should be no problem.

astor

2018's Starmada Splash Of The Year.

Certain states have laws against exceeding the max horsepower rating of the boat. I live in Ohio and you will get a ticket if caught.

Capacity Plates
(ORC 1547.39 & ORC 1547-40)
No person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft in excess of any of the stated limits on the capacity plate. When no capacity plate exists, no person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft if a reasonably prudent person would believe the total load aboard or the total horsepower of any motor or engine presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property.
No person shall alter, remove, or deface any information on the capacity plate.

North Beach

Commander

Certain states have laws against exceeding the max horsepower rating of the boat. I live in Ohio and you will get a ticket if caught.

Capacity Plates
(ORC 1547.39 & ORC 1547-40)
No person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft in excess of any of the stated limits on the capacity plate. When no capacity plate exists, no person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft if a reasonably prudent person would believe the total load aboard or the total horsepower of any motor or engine presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property.
No person shall alter, remove, or deface any information on the capacity plate.

Well that's about as open ended or catch all as you can get. And my capacity plate is for an outboard and came attached to an I/O model. I'm pretty sure back then they weren't even required.

And I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for this.

86 century

Ensign

I had a 18' starcraft as rated for 150hp I ran a 200 on it with no problems.

I have since spoke with a lawyer about this(he was a prosecutor) says he would be able to make a case for negligence.
He went on to tell me it would be a stretch put possible if you where in an accident that caused a death you could be charged with criminally negligent homicide.

This is under Indiana law so it may not apply for you.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It is illegal in WI to over power a boat.

It is also illegal to sell an over powered boat in WI.

So, now it is not just the coast guard, but the dnr wardens that will be looking.

See page 16 in the Wi regulations:

Overpowering is equipping a vessel beyond its safe power capacity. It is illegal to sell, equip, operate or allow another to operate a boat with any motor or other propulsion machinery beyond its safe power capacity, normally shown on the capacity plate. Consideration must also be given to the type and construction of the water craft and operating conditions.
Overpowering is illegal.

North Beach

Commander

Well I stand corrected. Last time this came up we were all told just the opposite.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

This was recently changed here in WI.

I am surprised that the 22' i/o Islander even has a rating plate.

barato2

Commander

somehow i don't see the waterfuzz running down the guy in the 30 yr old SC cruiser who's operating boat in safe & prudent manner just to check his transom plate. possible, yes. but i'd be very willing to gamble.

it would be a stretch put possible if you where in an accident that caused a death you could be charged with criminally negligent homicide.
stretch would be accurate. even for a simple-negligence lawsuit (ie, lawsuit between individuals seeking damages instead of criminal prosecution by govt), it would have to be proven that the overpowering was the proximate (ie, reasonably direct and reasonably foreseeable) cause of the injuries or death. unless it tore the transom off or boat went airborne over a wake at WOT or melted when it hit sound barrier, i don't see any legal problems of that sort coming from a 200hp on a 22' Islander. i've been doing criminal defense for 30+ years and have NEVER seen a negligent homicide charge based on something that minor.....always much more egregious stuff.

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class

It doesn't have a plate on it. I ordered some beautiful ones from North Beach that are not currently installed.
This was recently changed here in WI.

I am surprised that the 22' i/o Islander even has a rating plate.

JD in Milwaukee

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was never ever hassled when I had my big block jet boat. And it had over the transom headers! Ideally I'd like to have something in the 115-150 hp range. But it seems there are quite a few in the 200 class that are reasonable.
It is illegal in WI to over power a boat.

It is also illegal to sell an over powered boat in WI.

So, now it is not just the coast guard, but the dnr wardens that will be looking.

See page 16 in the Wi regulations:

Overpowering is equipping a vessel beyond its safe power capacity. It is illegal to sell, equip, operate or allow another to operate a boat with any motor or other propulsion machinery beyond its safe power capacity, normally shown on the capacity plate. Consideration must also be given to the type and construction of the water craft and operating conditions.
Overpowering is illegal.

Georgesalmon

Lieutenant Commander

I wouldn't think you would have a problem unless or until something bad happens. Never been checked for horsepower, lots of other stuff but never horsepower. But,,,,,,,,,if something happens the sue crazy lawyers will be looking for somebody to pay. If your over powered I bet it will be you defending yourself.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

It doesn't have a plate on it. I ordered some beautiful ones from North Beach that are not currently installed.

Well, thats easy then.

Don't install the plate.

Should be good to go.

86 century

Ensign

somehow i don't see the waterfuzz running down the guy in the 30 yr old SC cruiser who's operating boat in safe & prudent manner just to check his transom plate. possible, yes. but i'd be very willing to gamble.

it would be a stretch put possible if you where in an accident that caused a death you could be charged with criminally negligent homicide.
stretch would be accurate. even for a simple-negligence lawsuit (ie, lawsuit between individuals seeking damages instead of criminal prosecution by govt), it would have to be proven that the overpowering was the proximate (ie, reasonably direct and reasonably foreseeable) cause of the injuries or death. unless it tore the transom off or boat went airborne over a wake at WOT or melted when it hit sound barrier, i don't see any legal problems of that sort coming from a 200hp on a 22' Islander. i've been doing criminal defense for 30+ years and have NEVER seen a negligent homicide charge based on something that minor.....always much more egregious stuff.

I have no legal training just repeating what I was told. I would agree with you as a member of the bar I think he is bound to advise against anything that could be illegal. You would know more about that than I would.