Idles Too Fast

iasledder

Cadet
'58 35 hp Johnson idles too fast. Carb is completely closed, all limiters backed off. Is there some method to reduce the speed? No tach but guessing around 1000 rpm. Speed for docking is asking for trouble.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Idles Too Fast

I'm guessing you have a vacuum leak between the carb and engine. Try spraying starting fluid on intake where carb bolts to and anyplace else where their is a gasketed surface that could let air leak in. When you hit the leak the engine will slow down or die. If this doesn't help you probably have a crankshaft seal leaking.
HTH,
Mike

coolguy147

Commander

ok im sorry but thats a very stupid remark.

starting fluid!! worst thing for starting a 2 stroke now u wanna spray it on the outside?:eek: umm lets think kaboom except it really works and it will make sure motor possbily explode litterally externally.

i suggest spraying with light water not flammable objects on motor except whats meant to be please:confused:

ok u porbably have the vacum leak down but keep the starting fluid word away from this site. its for wooses who cant up the motor them selves.:D wd-40 only if u have to would be a much better idea:cool:

iasledder

Cadet

I'm guessing you have a vacuum leak between the carb and engine.

I understand your thought on air leaks, however, I can enrichen the slow idle adjustment until it "4 cycles" without much reduction in speed. To me this eliminates air leakage. Air/fuel ratio would seem to me like it could care less where the air comes from as long sufficient fuel is supplied and engine does not exceed rated rpm. It idles very smooth. I have tried WD40 around the carb and under the flywheel, no speed change, of coarse can't get to the drive shaft end.
My guess is the spark advance and carb are not synchronized, but don't have info on how to check and set.

iasledder

Cadet

Fixed! Spark advance was not retarding far enough. Spark plug wires were not set with enough slack where they are held in place by the retaining clamp on the side of the block.