Idle/RPMs too low - boat won't idle

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
well, starting doing a compression test tonight. I have this feeling that my worst possible fear has been realized. First cylinder checked out ok. Second one I tested has zero compression. Spark plug was wet, mostly water but slightly oily. When I was working on this beast I think there was one night that I had engine and carburetor uncovered (I know real smart) and I think it rained. Is this likely a hydrolock bent rod issue? Or maybe it happened when I spun coupler at wot?

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
In the process of troubleshooting the timing is way out of wack right now. Could that cause a zero compression on one cylinder? I cranked it over about 3 strokes.

NHGuy

Captain
No the cranking compression isn't affected by the timing. You are testing the compression with all the plugs removed and the throttle wide open right?

flipbro

Master Chief Petty Officer
0 psi on cylinder 2 is not good.. Its possible you tuloped a valve..pull the head and investigate..or burnt a piston from a lean condition

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
No the cranking compression isn't affected by the timing. You are testing the compression with all the plugs removed and the throttle wide open right?

Nope was doing them one at a time. Wonder if that would matter. Well I'm planning on setting my alarm (first time in many years :), getting up early tomorrow morning and will pull all those plugs. If same results I'm going to pull the head. It looked like it would be fairly easy to get to.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner
Nope was doing them one at a time. Wonder if that would matter. Well I'm planning on setting my alarm (first time in many years :), getting up early tomorrow morning and will pull all those plugs. If same results I'm going to pull the head. It looked like it would be fairly easy to get to.

It doesn't really matter if you pull the plugs to do the comp check.....BUT, It would give you a lower reading because the cranking speed is slower.........but NOT ZERO of course.

If you have a zero compression reading on any cyl, you either have a stuck/burnt valve, broken/burnt piston or broken ring.

Depending on the problem, turning it slowly would produce little or no compression at all.......... with the plugs out and turning the engine much faster, even the damage above might produce *some* compression

You'll get the highest reading with all plugs out, spinning the engine with a fully charged battery and with the throttle wide open.

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think I'll go ahead and check the rest just so that I know the condition of the rest before I start this. Should I have it on the muffs to check the compression? This is killing me. I'm wasting my summer on this dern boat.

I appreciate everyone's help though.

flipbro

No need to hook to muffs.sorry Nateo a 0 compression reading is never easy to swallow and indicates serious engine or head problems and at the minimum the head will need to come off.read up on doing a leak down test

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
No need to hook to muffs.sorry Nateo a 0 compression reading is never easy to swallow and indicates serious engine or head problems and at the minimum the head will need to come off.read up on doing a leak down test

I feel ya. Although I've felt like it at times, I'm not ready to throw in the beach towel yet. I've come this far. will wait till I find out for sure it needs a engine rebuild, then I may just sink her, hehe. Ok, So I had just enough time this morning before work to get the valve cover off. Oil stuck to valve cover looked kinda like vasoline. Not a good sign but don't really know what it means. Perhaps the rain water that got in there mixed with oil somehow? Will pull head off tonight.

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
well, I have good news. I removed valve cover and rocker arms. I inspected those valves springs and lo and behold, It appears that one of the keepers broke in half and the valve spring on the cylinder in question is uncompressed. However the valve is still in place so I'm not going to pull the head yet. I was able to find a parts store and purchased me a couple of new keepers for $1.98. Cheapest parts purchase so far on this boat. Just need to find me a stud mounted valve spring compressor now. Also once I put rockers back on, is there a certain torque setting and or any adjustments I'll need to do to those? The only bad news is I wasn't able to find the other half of the broken keeper, not sure where that went.

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
So I noticed that the valve seems to be stuck in down position, i.e. after compressing it and reinstalling new keepers it isn't popping back up. Should I resume the job of pulling the head to inspect? Looks like a big of work as intake has to come off apparently.

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pulled head today, wasn't too bad, had about a couple hours in it with power tools. Discovered valve was bent. top of pistion looked fine, how likely is it that connecting rod will be ok?

flipbro

Should be fine. Any evidence the valve made contact sith the piston?

skippy2235

Petty Officer 2nd Class
when the valve bends, it takes the energy and the piston turns on through.
If it were me I would just get the one valve fixed and put it back together.
Why did engine get out of time. Bad chain or Belt? find the reason and address the issue.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
...Why did engine get out of time. Bad chain or Belt?....

It didn't get 'out of time' (I think that was a movie with Justin Timberlake????)... The valve lost a collet and got stuck down. Errrr, no belt on a GM305.

Chris.....

flipbro

That was a great movie..Nateo can Lou post pics of piston and head?

nateo

Petty Officer 1st Class
So basically what happened was I had a completely rotted motor mount at end of last season that I didn't know about. This threw off my alignment of course. I was going wot when the engine coupler spun. I powered down as soon as I heard it. But basically equivalent of wot in neutral for a moment. Very high rpm and I believe #3 piston smacked the intake valve bending it in the open position.

well, I made 2 hour drive today to get new valve (hard to find part). Got home around 1pm and went to work on putting everything back together. After some wrenching, dinner with fam, and a few trips to parts store for a few supplies it started to get dark but got pretty far on it. Have about another hour or so of work tomorrow, carb & exhaust manifold mostly. Plan on firing her up tomorrow, sea trial afterwards or the next day.

Man this has been such a ordeal fixing all this stuff. Pretty gratifying fixing it all myself though (with tips from all you guys of course). Can't wait to go boating on 4th of July.

-nate