Idle question

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Hey guys I got my 1983 merc 115hp tower of power idling just right she isnt missing and it's just on the verge of stalling. The problem is the idle adjust screw on the arm is almost at its max. Is there another area to adjust
btw I changed all my teleflex cables and got them all fitted just right. Any help would be appreciated.
and yes it's the 83 from the 1st half of the year when they were crank rated

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The last inline 6s that were crank rated were 1981s

The idle speed adjustment is on the lower part of the the long arm on the Port side of the engine(red arrow), is that the one you are adjusting?
Click image for larger version  Name:	b2_13.jpg Views:	2 Size:	98.4 KB ID:	10769178

littlerayray

Lieutenant
It's almost maxed out I changed my fuel filters cleaned the carbs they were adjusted not needing a rebuild as they were rebuilt before storage. I'm wondering if maybe it just needs to run and get fuel moving through since it sat for 5 years. Before I got a hold of it.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Max as 'Turned in' or 'backed out'?

Also, any other screws/bolts/nuts on any part of the linkage did you adjust? Did you have any of the carbs off the engine?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Is it running on all 6? It kind of looks like at least one is dead and you are advancing the timing to keep it running on the rest. Time to use the compression gauge, Check for spark that can jump a 3/8" gap, on all cylinders. Are all 3 carbs supplying fuel?

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I will be confirming that today and just for fun I will re test all the spark plugs for the hell of it