idle adjustment

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
I have a 1993 us marine 120hp Force

Runs great at all speeds, but dies when shifting into neutral after a run, need some ideas. Running it on a 24' bayliner rendevous deck boat, anyone running on a similar boat? Want some top end speed comparisons

emoney

Commander
Re: idle adjustment

Out of curiousity, how is your top end, while you're waiting for someone knowledgeable to respond? That boat probably weights in the 4klb range?

Nordin

Commander

It should have 700-800rpm at idle in gear under load. That is about 1000-1200rpm in neutral.
Adjust the idle at the idlescreew on the timingtower.
The air/fuelmixturescreew on each carb should be 1-1,5 turn out from lightly seated. See the link/synk in the top posts.
NEVER have the air/fuel mixture leaner then 1 turn out. You can melt the pistons.
If you have to lean fuelmixture it can pop out when you go to gear.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Interesting, the low speed needles seem to run best at 3/4 out from seated. I can put them back at 1.

I have no tach, and doesn't seem to be charging as per onboard meter, so will have to test rectifier as well.

Clockwise on idle screw will raise RPMS correct?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Yes screwing in on the towershaft/screw/locknut.Will raise RPM's
Back it out to 1 turn.

Air screw.Warm motor,running,turn screw in till it just bucks,stalls then out 1/2 turn.
Or out to the 1 full turn.
You can install a volt meter.
In any positive lead.
Check it for voltage.Off and after it just starts,then as you run it past 3000 rpms.

If there is no changes on a hot battery,it's probably not charging.
CDI ignition . com ha stest procedures.

Get somekind of tach.Even a Tiny Tach will help.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Ended up having an exhaust leak at the gearcase causing the difficulty to fine tune.