Idle adjustment on 2005 2+2

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hey everyone..

I am sure many of read my questions and concerns gettin this new to me motor going..

when she is idling on 2 cycle its really really rough...but im idle scres are at 1.5 turns out, as suggested to get it running.

I am planning on setting it on the water on sat, in gear idling, any advice? just turn them in a quarter turn at a time and see what it likes the best?

any tips or suggestions with these motors??

thanks~~

1stout

Cadet
Re: Idle adjustment on 2005 2+2

If you have the cups set the idle at home in the driveway, it's a lot easier. My idle is set around 700 but that's low and needs to be turned up, it should idle around 8-900. The 2+2 does idle rough compared to 4 cyl. Set the idle mixture screws so that it starts easily and doesn't keep stalling but not so rich that it loads up running no wake zones. The screw on the throttle arm sets the RPM.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

make very small adjustments, as in just the width of the screwdriver blade-slot on the idle mixture screws, then give the motor a minute to a minute and a half to burn off any excess fuel. You want the boat to be IN the water so to have the water in the mid-leg providing the proper exhaust back-pressure, and also IN Forward gear so to have the proper load on the motor.

The motor will want more fuel than 1 & 1/2 turns out, keep adjusting in small amounts until you get to a 'Best Idle speed' which is the fastest the motor will run it idle, make SURE the shift control is only in Forward gear and not far enough to give ANY throttle.

Now, from Best Idle, the idle mixture needs even MORE fuel to provide the additional fuel necessary for crisp acceleration. Turn each idle mixture screw OUT about two blade-widths, then test acceleration by doing a holeshot, a very rapid opening of the throttle from idle in Forward to WOT. ANY hesitation, cough, lean miss, bog, or dying is proof that the motor needs even more idle fuel, back out each another blade-width and retest acceleration.

Repeat to perfection.

Supersportster

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the responses!

CharlieB, that was another of my concerns. It does hesitate a little when i get right on it.

I was thinking of giving it less fuel on idle(turning the screws in a little at a time), but i will start off giving minor OUT turns as you suggested.

It really does shake more then I think it should when Idling on two cyclinders.