Idea's on how to raise bow of boat while on trailer?

jmmdawg

Cadet
I have to reapair of couple of gel coat chips and scratches. one is directly where the boat sits on the bunk toward the bow area of the trailer. it is a 18'5 ft bowrider. probably weighs about 2k. Sitting on bunk trailer not rollers. Basically i would like to raise the bow off the bunks about 6" or so i could do the repairs. What is the best way to raise the bow and support it? i tried to search the forums but didn't find what i wanted.

saumon

Lieutenant
Re: Idea's on how to raise bow of boat while on trailer?

Raise the trailer jack as high as you can, then block it under the keel with pieces of 4"x4" (the top one having a V notch) toward the bow, and lower the jack.

cr2k

Captain

If you have a engine hoist use it on the bow eye or a strap under the bow.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

slide the boat back 6". This can be done by loosening the stap, tie the stern to a tree and drive forward 6".

jmmdawg

Cadet

Probably go with jacking the boat trailer up and then blocking under the keel. i do have an engine hoise and a set of chain hoist in the shop but i'm scared to put too much pressure on the bow eye and not sure how to keep the strap secure under the bow (thinking it would just off as i raise it) using the chain hoist. Thanks for the input.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

You just need the bow off the trailer a few inches? Use some cement blocks and a hydraulic bottle jack. I take a 2X6 and nail some 2X2s on each side to make a sort of a v-block. Very easy to jack up.

pevaguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You just need the bow off the trailer a few inches? Use some cement blocks and a hydraulic bottle jack. I take a 2X6 and nail some 2X2s on each side to make a sort of a v-block. Very easy to jack up.

Be very careful using cement blocks, they can crush. If you use cement blocks, I would setting them on a 2X10 or 12 with the openings vertical, not horizontal. If needing to stack two or more blocks place like board(s) between the blocks and another board on top of the top block. Do not use the blocks with the holes horizontal! I prefer using wooden blocks if you can.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

and with any kind of jack, use it for lifting but not holding--once it's up, set it on blocks.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Cement blocks will only crush if the webs are horizontal. As was stated, after jacking up the bow it is best to block it with blocks and wood. However, when I paint, I just leave it on the jack, and paint it. It is minimal risk as the boat will only fall 2" onto the trailer, if it falls at all which is unlikely. 2" is enough to get the bristles onto the hull.