iboats Pigskin Pick 'Em league is open for business.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The guy that gave the initial suspension should have given at least 4 games given Suh's history. On appeal it would have difficult to overturn the suspension, only reduce it.

bassman284

Commander
Suh's suspension reduced to a $70,000 fine on appeal. What film did the appeal judge look at?

Well, he only stepped on him. It's not like it was a stomp or anything and Rodgers WAS able to get up and walk, kind of, so...

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Detroit/Dallas

What a terrible call by the refs. They had it right and then picked up the flag. Everyone thought it was pass interference, even the guys in the booth and the "Expert"....... Detroit got screwed, then punted it 10yds!

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander
Had to stop in and say congrats to Bruce and thank everyone for another great season! Happy New Year!

QC

Supreme Mariner
So disagree. I couldn't care less whether Green Bay, Dallas, or Sheboygan won that game. The Cowboys were robbed. This is why I think the NFL is a joke. Bryant took three steps AND reached for the goal line (so-called Football Move). What didn't he do to secure a reception?

Edit 1: Now they call it a Football Act

Edit 2: Plus his knee was down.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yeah, another game decided by the refs. To be honest, I don't care for either teams. Like Joe Buck said, "Common sense sez he obviously made the catch", "but those aren't the rules". The psuedo ref said he didn't reach far enough to be called a football move. How far does he have to reach? What ref is going to be there with a tape measure. It was obvious he was reaching out to the goal line. It looked too that his elbow opposite the ball touched before he lost control caused by the ground...... And the thing is, they "reversed" the call. That just makes it more controversial, just like with the Lions.

These days the ground is a defender and can cause an incomplete pass. Like someone on tv said, " Whats a completed pass anymore?". Good question.... His right elbow was down too... Looked like it was inches short of being a TD.....

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
I was in the car and did not see the game, but maybe the officials were trying to prove they were not paid off for the last robbery? But I will admit I have never liked Dallas ... Well, not since Staubach retired.

Official wording of the rule for why the catch was called incomplete ... Again, I did not see it ... "If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball throughout the process of contacting the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete. If he regains control prior to the ball touching the ground, the pass is complete."

___

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If Bryant had just pulled in the ball like he should have, it would have been a catch. Instead as he was falling to the ground he tried to extend it. Bryant's fault.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
So disagree. I couldn't care less whether Green Bay, Dallas, or Sheboygan won that game. The Cowboys were robbed. This is why I think the NFL is a joke. Bryant took three steps AND reached for the goal line (so-called Football Move). What didn't he do to secure a reception?

Edit 1: Now they call it a Football Act

Edit 2: Plus his knee was down.
They have always called it a football act/move.

Doesn't matter if his knee hits the ground. He could be on his kness catching the ball. If the ball hits the ground during the catch, it's incomplete.

The question is did he have it long enough before it hit the ground to be ruled a complete.

Last edited:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
I just watched the Calvin Johnson play. "Did not complete the catch during the process of the catch". Say what? Next they'll insist on handing the ball to the ref after the catch or it will be ruled not a catch! Lol What a stupid rule. That was a TD all the way, but apparently not according to the stupid rule. On the flip side, you can run the ball, reach the point of the ball to the goal line and have the opposing player slap it away, yet it's considered a TD. I hope the completed pass rule for next year is changed.

Here's Calvin's vid. This is just dumb. 2 feet down, control of the ball.......TD........IMO.........Just not the NFLs'

http://thebiglead.com/2010/09/12/calvin-johnson-and-the-going-to-the-ground-rule/

Last edited:

aspeck

Staff member
Okay, watched it multiple times. I believe that by the letter of the law, it was not a catch. But also by the letter of the law, there is not enough to overturn the call on the field. It really comes down to a judgement call of were those 3 steps before he went down, or were they part of his act of falling? If they were the act of falling, then it was incomplete. If he made a couple of those steps before he started to go down, then it was a completed catch. Apparently the replay official felt confident in his decision. I am not so sure there was enough video evidence to overturn it.

QC

Supreme Mariner
My problem with the NFL is the constant changing of the rules. With that said, I am an avid NASCAR fan and they change the rules during a race, so call me inconsistent. From the time I was 10 until 45, that was a catch. In College, 1/3 of that was a catch. Heck they did it again in the AFC game. That was a muffed punt, but it was overturned and he was down. It's ridiculous if you ask me. No one knows what the call is: field position, possession, turnovers, clock, until someone in some magic room flips a coin. At least that is how it seems to me. Hard to take it seriously.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
That's what they were saying. I guess I'll believe it when I see it...... Even then I wouldn't be 100% sure.....

aspeck

Staff member
I don't think Peyton will do a Farve. Time will tell ...