I6 instead of I4

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hello all, I have a 67 Starcraft Islander with a 4 cyclinder in it with a merc outdrive. I was wondering if anyone here has replaced thier 4 banger with a I6 and how hard would it be to do. I am asking because I would like to replace the outdrive with a newer one from the motor back, I have found several good deals on boats with I6's in them and good outdrives. But not sure how hard it would be to do the install for the I6. Thanks in advance for any and all help from the oh so wise ones on here. have read lots of good advice that has been given here and I think that this forum is the bests place for help that a person can find.

Kelly

Bondo

Staff member
Re: I6 instead of I4

I have found several good deals on boats with I6's in them and good outdrives. But not sure how hard it would be to do the install for the I6.

Ayuh,... Going that route, all ya gotta do is reposition the front motor mount....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I have a 67 Starcraft Islander with a 4 cyclinder in it with a merc outdrive.

It really depends on which 4 cylinder engine you have. In 67 there was Renault, Mercedies, Rover, and GM 4 cylinder engines, along with different drives and transom shields that the 6 cylinder will not bolt up to.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled1.jpg
    Untitled1.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

It really depends on which 4 cylinder engine you have. In 67 there was Renault, Mercedies, Rover, and GM 4 cylinder engines, along with different drives and transom shields that the 6 cylinder will not bolt up to.

attachment.php
I am asking because I would like to replace the outdrive with a newer one from the motor back,

Ayuh,... While I've never run accross the Mercedes, or Rover,...
I believe the transom cutout is the same, or atleast nearly so...

KellyC

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Guess I should have been a little more specific, it is a merc 120 so I believe that it is a chevy engine. Sorry I did not include that Don.

I am hoping that it is pretty easy as you are thinking Bond-o, that would be really sweet.