I wish my motor would just die already!

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Would love to replace my 2000 Johnson 115 with a shiney new Evinrude 150 e-tec but the old johnny just won't die.

Knightgang

Lieutenant
Re: I wish my motor would just die already!

Try that liquid glass they put in the cash fo clunkers engines...

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I justs can't bring myself to do anything to purposefully destroy the engine nor can I bring myself to spend money on replacing something that still works so beautifully.

Knightgang

Lieutenant

I would love ot have that 2000 Johnny for my boat to replace a 85 zuki. But no $$$

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If it runs well and has good compression numbers I would think you'd be able to sell your Johnson for close to $2k. Nice down payment on the E-tec :)

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

That old Johnny's probably got another 20 years left in it. How bad can a 9 year old motor look?

180Fisherman

Petty Officer 1st Class

It's not the look. It's that little 115 sticker on the side of it. 150 stickers look much better.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Just think all the money you're saving by not getting a new one. But, if you want to get rid of it that bad, trade 'er in.

jkust

Rear Admiral

9 years old is just getting broken in for an OB. I have never heard old and year 2000 in the same sentence. Lotsa time left on that one.

Boss Hawg

Lieutenant

9 years old is just getting broken in for an OB. I have never heard old and year 2000 in the same sentence. Lotsa time left on that one.

For certian - We read 100+ (at least) posts every week about guys trying to get or keep the motors they have running :(
This person wants his perfectly good (& near new) motor to die so he can get a bigger newer one :confused:
Tears are flowing as i type :rolleyes:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I had the same problem with a 1969 6hp and a 1979 9.9, I wanted them to die so I could justify a newer model. I finally had to just put them on the rack still in good running condition. If you even try to keep it in good shape it may take another 15+ years before you can even think of "needing" to replace it.

My 98' 90 is still running like new, I think its on the second set of sparkplugs, it just runs and runs.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

I finally gave up on waiting for my 1966 Evinrude to give me grief. Life is too short. :cool:

henrye718

Petty Officer 1st Class

Would love to replace my 2000 Johnson 115 with a shiney new Evinrude 150 e-tec but the old johnny just won't die.

Err sell it ;) then buy you a new one. There is a very good market for used good running outboards.

Willyclay

Captain

They don't die. You have to kill them!

jkust

Rear Admiral

Ok I'll admit it...secretly I hope for my 6 year/83 hour old v6 mercruiser to die in some way (say poor winterizing) so I can upgrade to an MPI v8. I would never say this out loud though. Of course it's a lot easier just to sell the boat and upgrade though.

jeff_smith_0423

Chief Petty Officer

I've gotta say, I'm finally satisfied with my current outboard! I hope it's around for as long as possible!

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

It's almost brand new. If you want bigger then trade it for a used 150hp in similar condition.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

I will trade you my '97 Johnny 115 for your 2000, then you can go ahead and kill my engine and not feel bad about it, and I can happily run your 115 for another 10 years.