I WANT TO PUT 89 FORCE ENGINE FROM L-DRIVE, ON 1987 FORCE BOAT

My lower unit(or middle unit)is locked up on a 89 Bayliner L-Drive. I could not find any shop to even look at it. They all said no one works on them and the parts are really expensive if you can even find parts for them. So I decided to part out the boat. The Motor was rebuilt in 1999 and only used 3 summers. In the paper I found an 87 Bayliner with my same engine (85 H.P. Force) with a blown rod. Would it be a problem to put my powerhead on the outboard motor? He's asking $1000 for the 87.

jokey1

Cadet
Re: I WANT TO PUT 89 FORCE ENGINE FROM L-DRIVE, ON 1987 FORCE BOAT

The engine should fit. But why are you giving up on the l-drive. If you didnt break the drive shaft yokes you could just take the assembley to a machine shop and they can match up the u-joints and bearing. I did my and it only cost me 187 bucks with seal. If it is the gearcase I am not sure what you can do. All I know is the 1990L and 1991L drive are the same case and gear boxes are all mecury not old chrysler.

Thanks for the reply. I did try to unbolt that (is it the "middle unit"?) but the last bolt on the ring around that gear would not come loose. After the power head came off I noticed rust around that ring. I will try again to get that bolt out and see if I can get it repaired. I went and looked at the other boat today and that motor is a mess. When it threw the rod it even wrecked 2 of the carbs and broke the starter loose. There was something that looked different on that motor - the large round part beside the cylinders. I'm not sure if it is different though, but I'll make sure it's not before I invest in that boat. The L-Drive on my boat froze up when I started it up for the first time in about 9 months. The motor ran for about 20 seconds and then just froze. I thought the motor was frozen until I took it off and found out it was that gear.

jokey1

Cadet

All you need to do is pull the pins out on the l-drive Like where it pivots. To make a puller all i used was some pipe I belive a 1.25inch. washers and 9/16 bolt with a nut. I know what is worng the bearing on the drive shaft is toast. To take the gear case off all you need to do is talke 6 bolts and the hidden one underneath the tab. Should pop right off. If not it might be froze in the splines.

apollard

Recruit

I second the bearing on the drive shaft / ujoint shaft being bad. Nobody ever checks or greases these, so they go bad from water. Don't buy the Merc part, take the bearing or housing & shaft to a bearing distributor and they can match it up, it's a common bearing. Merc price ~ 55, Distributor charged me 12!

jim_b_20653

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I recently replaced the powerhead on my 125 Force outboard with one from an L-drive. They looked a little different but it worked out ok. You will need to remove the exhaust manifold from the L-drive powerhead and replace it with the exhaust plate from the outboard. The carbs and starter from the L-drive will work on the outboard.