I think it's a no brainer, but HELP Cobalt vs Four Winns

KootenayTime

Seaman Apprentice
Re: I think it's a no brainer, but HELP Cobalt vs Four Winns

I'm only commenting on the power issue here but... Before I bought my own formula I spent a lot of time on my friends 1972 23' formula. The boat weighed approximately 5,000 pounds dry and had a 220hp OMC I/O. We could fill it with people (7-8) and still water ski with NO PROBLEM! Opened up it would go approximately 40-45mph. 3,800lb with 270hp would be even less of a problem. Get the boat or not. Your call. Just don't worry for a minute that it would be under powered in any way shape or form.

Thanks for the info, I think you are right about the power. Would a 5.7L be great, probably, but the 5.0 GXi will more than suffice.

Cptkid570

Ensign

That is sad. I hate to see good boats get poor care. Don't be afraid of a boat with a Bravo 1. I love mine. You may want to open up your search to some boats that are a tad older. My 1996 Crownline 202 BR is a little older but you would not know it. I get compliments from people at the ramp who have much newer boats all the time. It was only $8750 with trailer and ALL maintenance records from the local Crownline dealer going back to 2002.

I like this thought. With a $30K budget, you could take a 1996 to 1998 boat, buy it, put in a new outdrive, reman 5.7 motor, reupholster, new trailer tires, and still be under budget.

Actually, why do you like the 2004 boats? Is it because of the style or because it is the newest 22' boat in your price range? Just curious.

KootenayTime

Seaman Apprentice

It's because 2005 is the newest in my price range. I'm not into the rebuild thing for a couple reasons, number one would be the loss of value. If I buy a 1998 for $12k and out $10k into it that boat it may be worth $13k if I wanted to sell it. I don't think anyone would pay much more then the going value for a boat that old no matter how new the upholstery and engine were. If I wanted to sell the boat any time soon I'd been taking quite a bath on it. Thanks for the input though.

KootenayTime

Seaman Apprentice

I am leaning towards the Four Winns at this point.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral

My boat was excellent when I bought it. I would not buy the newest you can on a certain budget. My first boat was a 1983. I had it for 7 years and only had to do normal maintenance. The current boat is the 1996 Crownline. It looks like the mid 2000 models. I would rather have a 15 year old perfect boat than a 6 year old unknown boat.

KootenayTime

Seaman Apprentice

I agree about having a perfect boat, I just don't necessarily agree with buying something older with the intention of dumping a bunch of coin into it. The four winns is near mint, a little new pin striping and it would be mint, I'm happy to save $25k over new.

thumpar

Admiral

I agree about having a perfect boat, I just don't necessarily agree with buying something older with the intention of dumping a bunch of coin into it. The four winns is near mint, a little new pin striping and it would be mint, I'm happy to save $25k over new.

Don't get me wrong. I am not saying to buy a boat that needs work. There are older boats that don't need anything. My 1996 Crownline 202 BR was purchased for $8750 and doesn't need anything. You can see the specs in my sig. I have dealer records from 2002 to current of everything that has been done.

KootenayTime

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry, I was referring to Cptkid570 comment about buying and older boat and putting new upholstery and an engine in it. If that perfect older boat in mint shape with all the records came along I would definitely consider it. I just feel I have found a reasonably aged boat that has been extremely well looked after with ridiculously low hours. I feel what you are saying though, there would be a real sense of pride finding a boat like yours. The four winns really fits the bill for us, I was worried about the power but I think it's a non issue. Thanks for the input.

moosekoot

Cadet

I really looked around before I bought mine. The FW210 are a nice boat and I always get compliments on mine on the Shuswap. If you did decide to buy it, I am sure you would be satisfied. They are not a Cobalt but still a pretty nice boat.

KootenayTime

Seaman Apprentice

moosekoot; I private messaged you with a question about the seating in your boat and the get up and go with the 5.0 out of the hole? Do you have that horseshoe configuration in the back seat? If so how do you like it?

KootenayTime

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_0667 Four Winns.jpg

I went and did it, pulled the trigger on the Four Winns

thumpar

Admiral

That looks nice. Now you have to wait until there is good weather. I bet you have the itch to go boating.

KootenayTime

Seaman Apprentice

IMG_0668 Four Winns.jpg

A picture of her behind

Last edited:

onewhippedpuppy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats! I really like how the Four Winns smoothly taper back to the integrated platform, it makes for a very pretty boat.

KootenayTime

Seaman Apprentice

That looks nice. Now you have to wait until there is good weather. I bet you have the itch to go boating.

Yeah, we have the itch allright, I bought a boat today and at the same time the radio is warning people to stay off the roads due to slippery winter driving conditions :facepalm: Oh well, spring will come soon enough. The kids are pumped, I look at it as a real investment in my family. You are in Spokane? We head down there all the time for shopping or a weekend away, we are only 2.5 hours away.

thumpar

Admiral

Yes I am in Spokane. We boat on Long Lake which is the river dammed up. Right now we have 3 inches of fresh snow and more expected.

KootenayTime

Seaman Apprentice

Congrats! I really like how the Four Winns smoothly taper back to the integrated platform, it makes for a very pretty boat.

:thumb: Thanks for the compliment, we are pretty happy. I had to ask myself, what more could I want, the answer was nothing so I went ahead.

CC245

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congrats! Welcome to the family, it's going to be a long winter! Check out the ifourwinns forum. Lots of good people and info.