I Smell Fuel...

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer
Re: I Smell Fuel...

That's the odd part, i don't seem to be leaking fuel anywhere. Just a general smell of fuel vapors. Could be its in the wood and fiberglass, but I'll keep searching for the source. Thanks.

QC

Supreme Mariner

This will start a war, but did you use teflon tape on fuel fittings? Many scream here "NEVER". My experience, and many who work in the biz, chuckle and say "ALWAYS". It is possible you have fixed an old leak, but resulted in a new one ;) With that said, I would agree if it was serious, you should see evidence as well as smell it.

Another thought. Where exactly is your tank vent and fill cap? Are they under the cover? Even though external, mine are.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

This will start a war, but did you use teflon tape on fuel fittings? Many scream here "NEVER". My experience, and many who work in the biz, chuckle and say "ALWAYS". It is possible you have fixed an old leak, but resulted in a new one ;) With that said, I would agree if it was serious, you should see evidence as well as smell it.

Another thought. Where exactly is your tank vent and fill cap? Are they under the cover? Even though external, mine are.
War started! If the flared fittings leak,they need to be replaced. No tape/sealer other pipe fittings ok kindof. Make shure ya dont get the tape over the first couple of threads. I use avation sealer on em sometimes.
Grub

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

I did use teflon paste on a few fittings... don't see any harm in that.
The fuel fill and vent are exterior, the tank is under the flooring.
I need to scrub the bilge clean, maybe there is a trace that I'm not seeing...

hivoltg

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does your boat cover or tarp cover your fuel vent on the outside of the boat?

QC

Supreme Mariner

^^^^^^^ See posts #22 and #24 :)

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Might have fuel soaked flotation foam under the floor boards. Once gas get's down there, before you made your fuel line repairs? I have an older boat/outboard and do get some minor fuel smells when I take the cover off too. Not enough for me to be concerned about, and I have inspected my fuel tank and lines, all is good, just a 20 year old boat with lots of use. I would be inspecting your fuel system soup to nuts.

QC

Supreme Mariner

OK, so I was premature on dismissing it. So the fill and vent are both under the cover? That could be all of it depending on how the air flows. Uncovered the smell dissipates? You do have a blower right? Use it!!!

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, sir!
Thanks all, I'm thinking this is it, fits the symptoms.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Still have a problem. Filled the tank today, took her out on the bay. Smell of gas never went away... I think this is a real problem, not leftover fumes. I need to solve this problem before I take her out again.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer
Replacing an Inboard Fuel Tank?

Replacing an Inboard Fuel Tank?

I have a 1985 Chris-Craft 17' runabout. I have a fuel leak somewhere that has avoided detection. I'm thinking a hairline crack in the fuel tank. Unfortunately, the tank is located below the floor. How difficult is this replacement? Is it beyond a novice boat repair person's ability?

Thanks.

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer
Fuel Leak in Ski Storage Area

Fuel Leak in Ski Storage Area

Found fuel in the ski storage compartment. It's an '85 Chris-Craft 17' I/O. There's a teak cover over the ski area and when I pulled it up there was a puddle of fuel sitting there. I have no detailed views of my boat's construction, but I think there are a lot of similar designs in this boat size. Can anyone tell me where the leak may be originating from to end up in here?

The fuel tank is aft of the compartment and the fill & vent hoses must route around it. Anyone familiar with the below floor layout?

Thanks.

Re: Replacing an Inboard Fuel Tank?

I've never done it, but I have studied my boat to see what would be involved.
-Remove seats from both sides of boat ( including some trim)
-Remove carpeting
-remove decking
-Drain fuel
-Detach hoses
-remove tank ( probably held in place with foam!)

A real pain to do, but well within the average DIY persons capabilities IMHO

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

I found the evidence: a fuel puddle in the ski storage compartment. The tank is located aft of this area and the fill & vent routed around the area. Where could that come from?

Jacalore

Chief Petty Officer

Decking: usually screwed and glued? Removable or has to be sawed out? How is that done if fuel is present?

fishrdan

Admiral

Are there any deck plates, so you can access the fill and vent hoses? If yes, I would start there first.

Fiberglass boat I assume, I doubt the deck plywood is removable by taking out a couple of screws? To get at the tank you'll need to cut out a section of the deck. A circular saw will make quick work of removing the deck plywood, but be very careful in setting the blade depth, try 1/2" and go from there, you want to barely cut through the bottom side of the plywood. (Blade too deep and you could cut through your fuel tank, fuel hoses, wires, etc, etc..)

I would pump the tank out and flush out the hull very well with water, before cutting in to the deck with power tools.