I QUIT!!!!!!!

Topmason

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm done smoking!!!!!!<br />After 18 years of this incredibly debilitating habit on top of being a diabetic for 28 years, I QUIT!<br />I'm sick and tired of feeling, nicotine induced, sick and tired.<br />I'm sick and tired of waking up in the morning to coughing and hacking till I see stars!<br />I'm sick and tired of getting brochitis every year!<br />Last, but most importantly, my youngest son told me a few weeks ago that smoking cigarettes "takes away life"!<br />Signed,<br />Sick N Tired

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner
Re: I QUIT!!!!!!!

Congrats Topmason;<br />My defining moment came when I realised that at age 50 (6 years ago) I was not going to be able to go skiing anymore with my then early teen children unless I quit smoking. 32 years of 2 packs a day.<br /><br />Don't think that you need to do it without aids.<br />Use patches or get a Zyban perscription. It's no foul to use help for such a tough undertaking.<br /><br />Just remember, down the line, that you can't just have one. You'll be back to your current level within a week of having that one.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

So many opportunities will be coming your way, now that you are not smoking.<br /><br />Like, if we ever meet, you will be welcome to fish in my boat. :D <br /><br />Good Luck.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Topmason,<br /><br />Good for you! :D <br /><br />You should add on more thing to your list.<br /><br />No more paying extra tax to your government!<br /><br />Patches worked for me for awhile, but I got to the point of getting jittery an jumpy. Just gove up on them both..<br /><br />SS

scamper

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Congratulations topmason,<br />and to the rest that have kicked the habit. I have smoked for more years than I wish to count. I too would like to stop but get almost there and go right back to it. Disgusting! Wish I had your resolve.

aspeck

Staff member

Congrats Topmason, we're pulling for ya! Keep us posted on the progress. If and when you get the urge, remember that you got to answer to yourself and to us also!

FSHKPR

Ensign

well good luck topmason! I have tried a few times and failed everytime. and since i dont like to fail at things i have decided to quit quiting. :D I made it 7 months one time and i dont think a day went by that i did not think about having one. its a nasty smelly expensive addictive habit. and on that note i think i will go out to the garage and have one. seriously topmason good luck i hope it works out for you.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Good job, stick with it. My mother quit smoking back in 1980, had been smoking since the early 1950s. It was hard, but she did it. She had started menopause at the same time, she was really fun to be around, but she got through it. I can't relate, I never picked up a smoking or a drinking habit, but I haveseen people quit and I know it is possible. Just remember, when you want to light up, just go buy something for your boat. You'll feel much better.... :D

boatingfool

Chief Petty Officer

Congrats!!<br /><br />
smoke.gif

Topmason

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you all for the positive support.<br />It's been 12 hours.

Spidybot

Lieutenant Commander

After 20 years of smoking - in periods up to 4 packs a day - I quit in '91.<br /><br />I think the way to do it is a very individual decision. Some need to tell everybody about it, some need to keep it to themselves. Some just stops from day to day and some go down in steps, eventually smoking so little they find it ridiculous and stop completely.<br /><br />The latter worked for me. I did not tell anybody, just cut it back little by little until I stopped. Then people started asking 'ain't you smoking anymore?' and I felt SO good replying 'no, I quitted'.<br /><br />BTW: If we ever meet, you'll be most welcome onboard my boat, in my house, at my dinner table, in my car - not smoking :cool:

Hooty

Rear Admiral

We gotta phone call 'bout 10:30 this morning. Our 41yo son had had a heart attack. They installed a stint and he's gonna be fine.<br /><br />Yesterday, he was a two pack-a-day man. He quit today.<br /><br />c/6<br />Hooty

rwise

Captain

Topmason<br />Hang in there, it aint gona be easy. I watcvhed my Dad quit many years ago. He says "sometimes it's still hard"! Good luck.<br />Richard

catfish1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

hang in there topmason! after 22 years, i'm givin it up also. i just decided this thurs, 14th. for me it hasnt been too bad, i have the wife & kids supporting me. good luck! i wish you strong will. ;)

LadyFish

Admiral

Hooty, I'm happy to hear your son is okay. Forty one is very young. I know someone who had a heart attack when they were 37 and didn't know it. Since then, he's had two more. the last two required stents. This person is still smoking. I hope your son is smart enough to never pick up another cigarrette and watches his diet.<br /><br />Topmason, I wish you much luck and hope you had a smokefree weekend. If not, DON'T GIVE UP! Start over again today. :)