I never saw this coming.

itsaboattime

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I bought an Evinrude 110 horse off of Craigslist in 2010. The ID tag was missing off of the transom mount and I did quite a bit of research and determined it was an '87 E110TLCUR. I even posted the welch plug number here in the forums to try and get more info.
I have done several things to this motor. Completely reworked the cooling system, rebuilt the lower unit, carb kits, etc. Today after reading a post here about engine identification, I decided to call BRP with the welch plug number.

I was told that my power head is a replacement. Made from 1992 till 1995. AND that it probably wasn't a 110.
It is most likely a 115. Now I'm not a novice to outboards, but, other than carburetor jetting, is there any real difference between a 110 and a 115?
When I rebuilt the carbs I never paid any attention to the jets I was replacing.

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: I never saw this coming.

Are you having problems with the motor ??

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Identical motors in the terms of a powerhead. Same cubic inches and the only slight differences "might be" in the carb jets and possible exhaust section. If it's running right you are fine. You can call it a 115 (you can buy a sharpie and even make a pen and ink change on the cowling :)) or you can call it a 110. Since it is a POST 1985 motor it is prop rated and you actually are probably making 125+ HP at the head.

itsaboattime

Nope. No problems with it at all. It just kind of blindsided me.

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As stated, they are basically the same. Both "bubbleback" crossflows. Just like the 88 and 112 were essentially "marketing" ratings and not true HP ratings. They were actually 90 and 115 models with less frills.

The makers are allowed 10% +/- variation on actual vs. advertised HP ratings.

Enjoy. That's a good strong engine. A bit thirsty but reliable.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The blocks are the same part number between the 88 110 and a 1990 115. The 110 heads were different/unique part number. The later 115 used the 88/90 hp heads. The carbs for both engines (110 and 115) use the same .067 main jet in the carbs. Based on that, I'd tend to agree with Fleetwin, that it's a marketing thing. NMMA permits hp to vary up to 10% from the rating on the cowling, so this difference is well within the industry standard rating tolerance.

itsaboattime

I hear ya on the thirsty part. But she hasn't given me any real trouble. I would like to have a definative model number tho.
I guess I will stay with the E110tlcur. Everything that I have bought for it using that number has worked just fine so far.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Last edited: