I need your toughts and hopefully a solution.

gtownky

Seaman
I have a 1973 Evinrude 85hp. Im wanting to install a BRP controller on it. The problem is the controls and wiring on the BRP are for newer Evinrude engines. I think I can get the wiring thing worked out. The controls maybe. Im thinking that the throutle cable on the old controls as a metel clip that flips over a nipple and seats to hold it in place. The BRP cable looks just like the for/rev cable end. It just slids on a threaded pin with a washer on the end and a nut to hold it in place. I am thinking of grinding and drilling the nipple off and installing a hardened screw on the engine end. Then I would be able to slid the Brp Cable end on it and install a washer and nut. What do you think? Here are some pics. Here is a pic with the nipple I was talking about removing and drilling and installing a hardend screw and washer.The next is a pic of the forw/rev threaded bolt. It is something like what im wanting to do to the nipple. The last pic is with the old controls that goes on this engine. The next post is of new cables that I want to install. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC06234.JPG
    DSC06234.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC06235.JPG
    DSC06235.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC06236.JPG
    DSC06236.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC06237.JPG
    DSC06237.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC06238.JPG
    DSC06238.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 0

gtownky

Seaman
Re: I need your toughts and hopefully a solution.

Here are acouple more pics. These are of the BRP controls. If you notice the both ends are the same as the Forw/Rev Cable end on the old cables. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC06239.JPG
    DSC06239.JPG
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC06240.JPG
    DSC06240.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 0

gtownky

Seaman

I was thinking of buying a wire harness but the seem alittle to expensive for what you are receiving. I pulled the switch from the new controller yesterday and compared the wiring colors. Im thinking that I will just cut the red plug off of the old controls and splice in the new wire harness on the new controls. Thanks for the feed back. So you think the grinding and drilling and installing a screw would work ok? Thanks

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

just don't get it too hot, grinding,

TLL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Why not just remove the clip from the old cable and install it onto the new cable? The clip works on both style cables.

jaurora

Seaman

Why not just remove the clip from the old cable and install it onto the new cable? The clip works on both style cables.

Agreed, thats what i did for my 1977 rude. I did not use the BRP cables, i bought the ones from west marine and I just swapped the clip.

gtownky

Seaman

Im not sure how you can remove the clip on the old cable? It appears as if it is fixed to the black piece that appears is fixed to the cable. Can someone explain how to remove the clip and attach it to the new cable? Thanks

TLL

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can pry the spring clip off with a screwdriver. Sometimes you have to remove the set screws from the core wire retainer to allow it to slip off.