I NEED The MODEL NAME for a 1984 I/O STARCRAFT OPEN UTILITY

satx78247

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Friends,

I'm in the process of buying a 20 FOOT I/O OPEN UTILITY, OPEN BOW HULL (on a nice tandem trailer) from 1984 by STARCRAFT. from an estate sale - The HIN is: STRM02040184 .

Our county's tax assessor/collector says that I MUST HAVE the MODEL NAME to title/register/buy the county sticker for the boat & I was "sent home" to find the MODEL NAME.

Can anyone tell me the MODEL NAME from the HIN??
(I really do NOT want to spend any more of my time arguing with a county bureaucrat.)

THANK YOU
yours sincerely, satx78247

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
After 36 years you can call the model "Das Boot" and the clerk wouldn't know.

HIN is not a VIN like a car or truck. All it tells you is she's a 1984 Starcraft.

Post a pic or two.

PS - Stop yelling, we can read.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Kind of confused by your description.

utility? or open bow?

Or center console?

Aluminum or glass?

Here are 2 links to an 83, and an 86 Starcraft brochure.

https://s1214.photobucket.com/user/Popeye_LaRue/library/1983 Starcraft Marine Brochure?sort=6&page=1

https://s942.photobucket.com/user/jspano_photo/library/starcraft bourchure?sort=6&page=1

But if you can post a few photos or a link to the ad, someone here will surely know the model.

We also have a very active Starcraft forum for more info.

https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owners-groups-by-manufacturer/s/starcraft-boats

satx78247

Petty Officer 2nd Class
SEEKING the MODEL NAME of A STARCRAFT "OPEN BOW" 20-21 FOOT HULL

New Friends,

I am in the process of buying a really "Plain Jane" I/O open fiberglass boat that is just over 20 FT long down the centerline & out of an estate sale. - According to the HIN, the boat was built in March 1984 & sold in October 1984. -The boat looks like an "overgrown" Fish & Ski.
(My guess is that Starcraft calls it a 21 footer.)

The HIN: STRM02040184

The California Registration Number is: CF6340JA The California Title says that the length is: 20FT.

The reason that I'm asking for help from the Starcraft owners here is that our local County Tax Assessor/Collector will not register the boat W/O the correct Starcraft model name. - I have to title/license the boat/trailer, before I can pull it home to San Antonio, to start refinishing/remodeling the rig.

All else that I know about the boat is that it has a Mercruiser outdrive & the deceased PO's cousin says he "believes: that it is powered by a Chevy V8 engine.
The cousin also says that the boat was running fine, when the PO passed away, some 6 years ago. The rig was thereafter stored in a warehouse until recently, when the boat/trailer was "released" by the probate court.
(I cannot look at the engine as the motor box is locked shut & I don't want to break the lock..)

NOTE: Once I get the boat/trailer home, i will have photos made & will post them here. - I am hoping that someone can identify the boat's model name from what little information that I know now, as I really don't want to spend any more time arguing with an obstinate, uncooperative & self-important county bureaucrat.

THANKS for reading this rather long post.

Sincerely, Tex
USA, Retired
Ft Sam Houston, TX

roffey

Commander
not sure if this will help or not. I ran the HIN you provided ans here is what I got for the model....

"The Model Name is uncertain for this Starcraft. But we have approximations: Aluminum or deep16 or sf160 or SS160 or Bowrider or SEAFARER or SF14 or Starcraft or WS1217AS."

satx78247

Petty Officer 2nd Class
roscoe; roffey,

Glass, no center console (steering station to starboard, aft of the split windscreen) & open bow configuration but so utterly "Plain Jane" that I wonder if it was (at least) used for a utility by someone. - Inasmuch as the PO (and his widow ) has been deceased for 7-8 years, I don't know/have nobody to ask if it was ordered that way OR if it has been "stripped-out" & made "un-fancy"/institutional-looking.

I plan to strip out to the bare hull & turn the boat into a dedicated saltwater fishing machine.

yours, tex

Last edited:

roffey

Commander
If I were in your spot, I would just pick one that fits best. Worst case is the application gets flagged and you have to do it over?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't why you started a 2nd thread. All you had to do is ask us to move it. And thanks for not yelling in the new one.

Look at the brochures Roscoe posted and pick a model name of a glasser that is close in measurements. From the description you've given the current status doesn't match what she started life as.

Are you having any luck with getting the trailer in your name. That would be the first step for me for it can be towed.