I need some injinuity to get cheaply aound a simple poblem.

hogg

Seaman
I got a 'New to me' Jon boat on a home made trailer. It needs a 'front leg' so it can stand up hi enough for me to handle it.
Here's a photo of the Front end.
Somebody find a Cheap 'front leg' idea. It don't need a wheel, Just a stick that can be removed or stowed during transit.:joyous:

DSCF6078.jpg

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: I need some injinuity to get cheaply aound a simple poblem.

Cinder blocks, a old milk crate tree stump and so on will do just fine.

16victor

Seaman

Cheap jackstand?

White Boat

Cadet

I looks like you have some spare wood around, why don't you make a small saw horse, if you can't find a cheap $25 dollar jack stand.

hogg

Seaman

I have the Wood and some structures for a temp leaning post.
There is some Re-Bar, Pipe, and other metal stuff too.

I was looking for a 'thing' I could flip up and down as needed. Similar to a Boat Trailer jack, but not so expensive.
Looks like I got all I'm gonna get.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

I once had a compressor on a small trailer with a home-made jack stand consisting of a short piece of two inch pipe clamped vertically to the tongue with u-bolts. Inside of the two inch pipe was a one and a half inch pipe a couple of feet long. A single hole was drilled in the two inch pipe while holes were drilled the inner, one and a half inch pipe, at two inch intervals. A bolt was used as a pin for adjusting the height. To ready the trailer for the road, you simply pulled the one and a half inch pipe up all the way, moved the bolt to the bottom hole and you were ready to go.

Hope this helps.

hogg

Seaman

Great Idea Mel. Thanks for sharing it with me.
I think I might have all that stuff handy too.
Many thanks y'all.

Wind dog

Petty Officer 1st Class

An upside down 5 gal. bucket?

hogg

Seaman

LOL, that's a Red Wasp breeder. Nope, Mel got it right.
It has to be fastened to the trailer tongue and easily re-positioned.

Mel Taylor

Chief Petty Officer

Great Idea Mel. Thanks for sharing it with me.
I think I might have all that stuff handy too.
Many thanks y'all.

That was years ago so I'm not sure of the exact diameter of the pipes anymore but I'm sure you can work that out. Good Luck.

Mel

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

That boat and trailer looks small. Why not just drill through the tongue to accept a 1/2" bolt. Cut an appropriately sized 2x4, drill a corresponding hole in that, and use bolt and fender washers to attach to the tongue. Swing it up when not in use and wrap a bungee to hold in place.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

"Cheap boat part" is an oxymoron. Whatever you home-build be sure it is strong and will stand the rigors of the highway.

Ever see a real store-bought cheep tongue jack slip down as the trailer was pulled along the highway? I have....LOL. Not a pretty sight.

Flip-up stands aren't a good solution unless you can ensure they store along the side of the tongue, not below it.

Buy a plastic dishpan in the dollar store, then throw it in the boat when you don't need it. Makes a perfect anchor holder when you're in the boat. Can't beat dual purposing!!! (and only a dollar)

hogg

Seaman

Good Ideas all!
The Wood is a good idea too. I'm so old, the wood parts might outlast me anyway.
No Drilling in the Home made trailer tongue. I've had to deal with so many many atrocities with Home made trailers. Weakening one just aint in my vocabulary.
However through bolting a Wood truss, over and under the tongue, with the 'swing down' Stud is a great (bunch) of ideas.

The Bungee to hold the leg up is good too. Nothing sets out in the Sun here. It lives in a Barn!

I went to a site selling superbrightleds to arrange for interior lighting.