I need some help on paint !

70marlin

Cadet
I’d like to refinish my pump to match my powder coated place diverter. I’m not sure on what type of epoxy paint to use, or how to do it? Little help🙏

Attachments

• 726B0150-8176-4D4F-805B-2F64EF33F934.jpeg
    726B0150-8176-4D4F-805B-2F64EF33F934.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • 0F042B5E-0DD0-43D4-90DD-AC74A7B75225.jpeg
    0F042B5E-0DD0-43D4-90DD-AC74A7B75225.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if painting isnt your thing, suggest contacting someone who does paint and have them do it.

i would use Axalta coatings and have custom matched to the powder coated parts

70marlin

Cadet
if painting isnt your thing, suggest contacting someone who does paint and have them do it.

i would use Axalta coatings and have custom matched to the powder coated parts
Paint I can do, I’m sure it’s just a trip to the PPG store. I’m just looking for Technique, product and availability

Scott Danforth

Staff member
for the jet drive you have, you need to take it apart, blast it, zinc chromate prime it, epoxy prime it, then top-coat it

or take it apart, blast it, and then powdercoat it.

70marlin

Cadet
for the jet drive you have, you need to take it apart, blast it, zinc chromate prime it, epoxy prime it, then top-coat it

or take it apart, blast it, and then powdercoat it.
Powder coat would be the best! Just not this time. This time it’s just a band-aid 🤷‍♂️

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Here is what I am doing with my Alpha One drive.

I had all the parts and housings bead blasted, treated them with Alumaprep to clean them after blasting, coated them with Alodine protective coating, applied DP90 epoxy primer, and followed that 24 hours later with a 2K high build primer. I am now sanding the 2K and will shortly be painting them with a high quality single stage finish paint in gloss black. You could probably use a Base/Clear over the high build primer. These are all catalyzing two part paints. I am in the painting stage so it will be a while before I actually put the drive in the water and start seeing how this paint process will age.

70marlin

Cadet
Here is what I am doing with my Alpha One drive.

I had all the parts and housings bead blasted, treated them with Alumaprep to clean them after blasting, coated them with Alodine protective coating, applied DP90 epoxy primer, and followed that 24 hours later with a 2K high build primer. I am now sanding the 2K and will shortly be painting them with a high quality single stage finish paint in gloss black. You could probably use a Base/Clear over the high build primer. These are all catalyzing two part paints. I am in the painting stage so it will be a while before I actually put the drive in the water and start seeing how this paint process will age.
Sounds like a plan, not so sure on any clear, I’ve seen them fog when left in water.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Blast, clean, epoxy primer and single stage paint. Which ever brand of primer you use, the P-sheets for it will tell you which cleaners to use before primer as aluminum can be very particular. For a hull or a car I would do a high-build 2k primer (and sand the 2k primer smooth) between the epoxy primer and paint but that's not necessary on something rougher like a jet drive.

70marlin

Cadet
By the way, I am using the Omni line of PPG paint.
Right now I’m gathering info on paint that’s able to sit in fresh or salt water for an extended time! 🛥
Blast, clean, epoxy primer and single stage paint. Which ever brand of primer you use, the P-sheets for it will tell you which cleaners to use before primer as aluminum can be very particular. For a hull or a car I would do a high-build 2k primer (and sand the 2k primer smooth) between the epoxy primer and paint but that's not necessary on something rougher like a jet drive.
what do you feel about a sealer first?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Right now I’m gathering info on paint that’s able to sit in fresh or salt water for an extended time
I would look at axalta coatings or the Dupont industrial line

You need an ecthing base primer followed by an epoxy sealing primer

I would do wet on wet

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I would look at axalta coatings or the Dupont industrial line

You need an ecthing base primer followed by an epoxy sealing primer

I would do wet on wet
Modern epoxy primers are self etching. I can't remember working with any in recent memory that even suggest being applied over a separate etching primer.