I Need A New Marine Radio and Antenna...What's Best?

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: I Need A New Marine Radio and Antenna...What's Best?

Looks like all VERY good choices to me.

Bill

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Great choice in Antenna and Radio.
When your install your PL259 be careful not to short the coax and if at all possible check it with a VSWR meter for 2 meters or the marine band.

When you put the antenna on double check that you have a backing plate inside under the mount or at least large washers. You want to make the final adjustment to be vertical while on the water.

Epitome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't think there is a backing plate or washers under that stainless mount I have. It is screwed right into the aluminum with 4 large screws. Are you worried about it twisting with the antenna on? I don't think a backing plate will make a difference, this mount is heavy duty.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

The backing plate is to support the base and prevent the screws or bolts from pulling loose. When you get off shore running in large swells that 8 foot antenna that does not flex much at all puts a pretty good strain on the mounting screws. It is not uncommon for units mounted with screws to pull out of Fiberglass and light Aluminum. If you have access to the under side of the mount then use bolts with a extra backing plate or large washers. It only cost a small amount and can prevent having to repair it later.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I like your choice of antennas. I have two hooked up to an ICOM 504 :)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

Radio is irrelevant. They all have DSC or whatever that new distress thing is, so any radio from a known brand name is fine.
Suggest you read up on that "new distress thing". All are not created equal. ;)

Epitome

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just installed the radio and antenna tonight. The cable comes pre-cut, ready to install the hardware that lets you plug it into the radio. I installed the plug on the cable and left all the excess cable intact, coiled up under the dash. Are there any problems that can be caused by having the excess cable coiled up under there? Or should I have cut it to fit? I just felt that should I ever get a larger boat down the road, I may need the extra cable.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

There is a small loss in the cable but As I recall antenna comes with 20 or 25 foot so it will be a small loss and affect the radio very little. You should not make a tight coil and try to keep it away from the compass. At least watch the compass and key the transmiter one time on a working channel like 68 and 25 watts. If the compass does not move you should be good.

If you have a VSWR meter it a good idea to check just to make sure the connector is good and no shorts.

Also where your Coax bends when you lay your antenna down give it enough slack that the bend is slow and gentel.

reelfishin

Captain

I've always used a Shakespeare 8' 6db antenna mounted as high as I can get it on my boat. Keep the wiring at a minimum without going too short, (There will be a minimum length of wire required, usually about 6 foot or so). Mount the antenna away from the radio and compass, route all wires away from both as best you can as well.
VHF is line of sight transmission the higher the antenna the better.
The link given above by waterinthefuel explains the different gain antenna ratings well.

Expidia

Commander

I like your choice of antennas. I have two hooked up to an ICOM 504 :)

I have that same Shakespere antenna mounted on my 15 foot aluminum. It's great for around $100.

You will be amazed on how far you can actually receive coast guard alerts like impending storms because even though a 25 watt radio only transmits up to 25 line of sight miles, probably closer to 10 miles (and a lot less if the boats a roll'in) If another boat has a 25 watt'r your 10 and his 10 might get you 20 miles, but the coast guards antennas are usually mounted high up on mountain tops so you can pull in alerts way farther than you could transmit.

Both the radio and antenna are cheap insurance for a distress situation. I found as others had warned me that the handhelds with their 5 watts with the built on rubber ducky antenna's are pretty much totally useless.

The first time I actually needed to use it in the pitch dark around 9:30 pm on lake champlain trying to find the launch that was within 1000 feet of my position, there was no way I could contact anyone! Next day, bought the 8 footer and the 25 watt'er. I use the handheld just to listen to the weather band before I leave the house.

Funny story: I actually had a $1000 combo GPS/Fish finder on board (the Hummingbird 797) and thought I set a way point at the launch area when I left early in the AM like I always do. But I never did! I had a new Navionics hotmaps card that was installed for the first time that day. The highway ends right at the state launch and the ferry to Vermont so one would think it would be a piece of cake to find the launch right? WRONG.

I had about 40 miles to go from a 5pm departure so 4 hours time to get back to the launch for a 2 hour trip would be easy. But every time the lake doglegged the winds changed direction and the waves slowed me down to about 8 mph.

When we were at a restaurant in Burlington at 3 pm I had unhooked the GPS and stored it in a locked locker to prevent theft. Found out another problem on the way back. Unplugging the unit erased the breadcrumb trail the unit records so you can just follow back the way you came (oops).

Still no problem I thought now 1/2 way back, it's not only windy with 2-3 footers, it's raining to boot.

Still no concerns because highway #74 ends right at the launch. Any idiot can see this road right on the basemap (I told the mrs. whose color was getting whiter now with concern as the night moves in).

So 1000 feet from the launch and shallow water and rocks all around in total blackness . . . Did I mention how black it was? I went to find road on the base map and it was now GONE . . . YIKES!

I finally found some guys fishing in the dark around a lantern and they were on the now closed ferry's dock and they said "oh ya" the nys launch is 10 feet to our right . . . PHEEW!

Let me tell you what TOTAL darkness with out any stars out looks like :eek:. It feels like you are lost in outerspace. I was laughing but my was was steaming and calling me lotsa names once her foot was back on soil :D

So the next day I called Navionics and asked why I just paid like $149 to get highly detailed maps and launches, gas, marina's etc and the map does not even show a big NY State launch area let alone where highway #74 was on there 2 days ago but then it was just gone?

They said " oh ya" once you plug in our card it over writes the base map.
In hindsight, all I needed to do (besides always remembering mark a current location or way point or writting down my coordinates) I could have just pulled the card out and the highway would have magically appeared again . . . . now you tell me :( I guess the launch was to new to have shown up on the Navionics version I have. I had a handheld GPS in the car too that I usually carry on board as a back up but forgot to take it.

GPS, 25 watt fixed mount VHF and an 8 foot antenna: $700 to $1200. Don't leave home without them . . . if you go on big waters.

Or a compass, flashlight and a chart: about $10 :)

This should be posted under stupid Expida tricks.

Funny, the Wife always reminds me now . . . "did you set a way point?" before we ever leave a dock?