I might be at it again.. advice/thoughts/theorys welcome....

bigdirty

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So the Crownline is a great boat, i'm having fun with it and enjoying it for sure... but well... I'm getting the 2ft (6ft?) itis.... and have a possible straight trade deal lining up.. Here's the thing, she's older but I'm really not to worried, as it's a 'timeless' look.. Boat I'm looking at trading mine for is a 1987 Thompson 288 sedan with a flybridge..

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-powerboat-mo...er/1012019831?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

It's a local boat, and in the water so I can go have a good look at her and see it run/ect.. Found a bit of info online, just not as much as I would like.. Seams they went out of business in the late 90's, but wondering if anyone here knows anything about these boats? (build quality? known issues? General issues to look for in a straight prop shaft boat?) The pics in the add look good (they always do..) but Im just assuming its going to need some work, being even older than what I just fixed. I'm hopping it has perhaps been taken care of better over the years than my Crownline was, but who knows right.. Anyone? Anyone? Beuler? :lol:

zool

Captain
She looks nice and clean, don't have any experience with Thomson FB boats, but if you do look at it, check the windshield frames for distortion/leaks. Those type of FB boats where the bridge is supported by the glass frame, tend to have problems with all that weight pressing down on the aluminum.

David Pascoes survey site has some info on that.

tpenfield

Staff member
Not a good trade IMO. You might do better selling the Crownnie for cash and buying the Thompson for quite a bit less than asking price. Could be a big difference between the 2 boats in selling and buying price.

I think the Thompson is a tough sell, whereas the Crownline is easier.

bigdirty

Well, perhaps it is easier to sell the Crownline 'style' of boat in general, but being what mine is, with somewhat poor seating and not great looks on and around the rear decks, I may have a tough time getting a lot for her.. mind you, aside from my time (which I enjoyed for the most part) I dont have all that much tied up in it financialy.. I do like the layout of the Thompson, it seams overall good condition and clean, and it would definatly satisfy my 'go bigger' itch for quite a while I think...

Waiting to hear back from the sellers, apparently they have had a cash offer.. who knows, they did say they were interested in my Crownline, maybe they come and buy it anyway..:lol:

Mikeopsycho

Nice looking Thompson, my kind of boat (I am a sedan flybridge kind of guy);). Did you hear back from the sellers yet? I hope it at least needs a little work, it'd be nice to follow you through another project :D.