I learned not to remove the valve needle - 1957 BigTwin

tinkertinker

Seaman
So, I took the air silencer off to see what I'm going to need if I decide to take the carb off. To get the silencer off, I had to take the needles out (I thought). Now, I realize I was an idiot and should have just removed the knobs. (man bites fist)

I decided to save it for another time, and put everything back together. Except now, the (bottom) high speed needle doesn't go in all the way. It screws in easily, but I get resistance with about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch left to go.

From what I have read, the packing probably shifted and the needle is hitting the packing. Is that right? Do I carefully remove the needle valve nut and dig the packing?

Oh, but one good thing-- I just learned that the knobs are switched on my motor. Good to know! Amazing that it runs, but now it is clear why adjusting the knobs didn't have expected results. :redface:

mettyfish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: I learned not to remove the valve needle - 1957 BigTwin

Get a carb kit and put new packing or seals in it. Your carb deserves it. It will need em. In the kit will be other good pieces you will need including a rubber float for todays crappy gas and a new needle and seat. Good luck. Mettyfish

tinkertinker

Seaman

Deep breath. OK, just new to most of this and feeling a little daunted.

I think I need to find a manual. I have the parts list, but no manual for a motor this size/age.

Fisherball

Chief Petty Officer

You can buy a motor manual & almost anything else you'll ever need for your boat & motor on this site. The advise is free!