I Killed my Battery

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: I Killed my Battery

I call the Ever-Start batteries from Wally-World. Never-Start, they are imports and not to be trusted. Go get an Interstate or an Opitma and forget about it........

Yes when I want to spend $200 each for Interstate. I knfow they last years but just can fork over the funds.

oldjeep

Admiral

I call the Ever-Start batteries from Wally-World. Never-Start, they are imports and not to be trusted. Go get an Interstate or an Opitma and forget about it........

Everstarts are made by Delphi, Exide or Johnson Controls depending on which one you get.

Most auto batteries are made by just three manufacturers, Delphi, Exide, and Johnson Controls Industries. Each makes batteries sold under several different brand names.
Delphi makes ACDelco and some EverStart (Wal-Mart) models.
Exide makes Champion, Exide, Napa, and some EverStart batteries.
Johnson Controls makes Diehard (Sears), Duralast (AutoZone), Interstate, Kirkland (Costco), Motorcraft (Ford), and some EverStarts.

emoney

Commander

While you're at Wally world, get one of those automatic chargers. That way, you can just plug the boat in when you get home and the "smart charger" keeps the battery topped off. Saves a lot of headache and I think they're less than $15.00.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

I do the same thing as ^ emoney, the smart charger I got from wal mart came with two hook up's, one has the clips & the other has eyelets the permanently bolt onto the small posts on the battery. I just leave that mount hooked to the battery all the time & when I get home from the lake I just plug it together & it keeps it topped off for the next trip. It shuts off when fully charged so I don't need to worry about over charging. Just my 2c.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

While you're at Wally world, get one of those automatic chargers. That way, you can just plug the boat in when you get home and the "smart charger" keeps the battery topped off. Saves a lot of headache and I think they're less than $15.00.

I have a smart charger but the problem is the boat stays at a RV Storage Facility. Thanks.

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class

you should google those and see who makes them. Johnson Controls, makes Optimas, Interstates, everstarts and many other brands of batteries.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just have to say Kudo's to Walmart and their Battery Replacement Program. I finally took my Battery to Walmart for them to Test it and attempt to charge it. The battery tested BAD and they replace my battery without any further questions asked. I didn't eveh have to show the reciept. The battery was less than a Year old and still under full replacement warrenty.

Wally World batteries may not be the top of the line Optima but they stand behind their battery replacement warrenties.

DY

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

That's the problem with starter batteries. If you discharge them too far just a few times they are toast.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That's the problem with starter batteries. If you discharge them too far just a few times they are toast.

I didn't tell Walmart what I had done. I figure I spend enough Grocery Money there anyway .

fishrdan

Admiral

Good to see Walmart put a warranty back on their marine batteries!!! When I went to buy one about a year ago, they stopped warrantying marine batteries, zero warranty.

Now that you have 2 batteries how are you going to connect them? The cheapest way is to use a Perko switch as mentioned earlier, then you can select which battery you want to use, combine them, or turn them off. If you want easy, add an ACR to the switch and you won't have to worry about flipping the switch to charge both batteries off the engine. Blue Seas sells a 1-2-both-off switch and ACR combo kit which looks nice.

If you need new "marine" battery cables to connect the switch to the batteries, go to Genuine Dealz. They are fast, inexpensive and can make the cables to your exact needs.

AZBoatDreamer

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have to Search Iboats for a Perko switch. Having two batteries is a Piece of Mind. Thanks.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Two batteries and a Battery Switch is the ONLY way to go! I'm ALWAYS leaving something on, radio, depth finder, something, but when I turn that switch to "OFF" its OFF! Not to mention when were beached, I switch to #2 (Always) and run the radio knowing I have another good battery in reserve. And just a note, letting the alternator charge a dead battery will almost always kill the alternator! They are supposed to run the accessories and engine with the battery as a dampner for excessive loads, if the battery has to run the engine as it charges the battery it will stress it to the point of "I QUIT!"
And by the way, I have pics of my front yard from the late snow this year! One got put on TV during the weather segment.

12vMan

Lieutenant Commander

I have to Search Iboats for a Perko switch. Having two batteries is a Piece of Mind. Thanks.

HERE you go AZ..definately the way to go. I have 4 batt's on mine - 2 on each bank, with a 3 bank onboard charger so I don't max it out and an isolater as fisherdan mentioned. I plug it in each time I put the boat away, and it adds another 25 -50% of battery lifetime as well as giving you piece of mind that you'll be good on the lake. I also keep a jump starter on board as well. The Duracell 600 has an AC output that's powerful enough to run a blender - several times I've heard :rolleyes: