i keep tearing my u joint bellows

chris mig

Seaman
So 2 seasons in a row i have accidentally started my engine with the mercruiser outdrive in the full up position, should there be a ignition kill switch that may have failed that I am unaware of it is a alpha one

alldodge

Staff member
No such switch, need to remember to lower it.

Could wire in a relay and LED on the dash to give a light showing the drive is up past the trim limit, so don't start. Could also use similar relay to disable the start relay until drive is down, but right now nothing exist

chris mig

Seaman
Thanks for the response AllDodge i was hoping something was busted so i could fix and stop the issue and not have to remember I am glad i bought all the tools to do it a few years ago...they have paid for themselves now

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
wonder if thats how my bellow tore!!!!???? wonder if i need the bellows tool or i can use a make shift from grill tongs

chris mig

Seaman
kulle I would recommend buying the tools if you keep the boat for some time

chris mig

Seaman
I would think that the ujoint bellow should not fail so easy with a start up with the leg up for 20 seconds

achris

More fish than mountain goat
I would think that the ujoint bellow should not fail so easy with a start up with the leg up for 20 seconds

No, it shouldn't. What brand of bellows are you buying?

You could use the trim limit switch as your position indicator for an led...

Chris....

chris mig

Seaman
No, it shouldn't. What brand of bellows are you buying?
you could probably answer that yourself...LOL

achris

There you go. Get the Merc genuine...

harringtondav

Commander
Seems strange. With my Gen II when I was trailering each week, I started mine for just long enough to know it would start before I plugged a boat ramp slot. Still high up in trailer. No problems with bellows or raw water pump. I could hear the Unis fussing a bit, but I shut down once I knew I had an engine.

I've heard in cold winter areas it's best to drop your drive as low as possible during winter layover. Maybe an urban legend, but it makes sense. Rubber stiffens when cold. Full trailer up position stretches that rubber.

Alumarine

Captain
I have occasionally accidently started mine briefly when it's full up and have never damaged a bellows.
I've done it with both Sierra and Merc.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
so has anyone had success with longevity using after market bellows kit? if so what brand....oem is $$$

chris mig

Seaman
so has anyone had success with longevity using after market bellows kit? if so what brand....oem is $$$

not me:grumpy: i will not ever use a aftermarket u joint bellow again 2 in 2 years cost as much as the oem i just ordered not to mention my down time I am a commercial shellfish diver

Last edited:

harringtondav

Commander

I'm clearly going against the pro's flow here, but I've never had a Sierra drive shaft bellows fail. My first failure was the factory Merc. shift cable bellows. The second was a Sierra exhaust bellows, after I took a hard hit on a dead head (submerged log enemy submarine). Merc bellows cost a bit more than Sierra, so go for it for peace of mind. You will need your drive model and year to find it on these site's catalogues. Buy it a iBoats to support the forum.

https://www.mercruiserparts.com/
http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercruiser-sterndrive-parts/#drives

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

You are seeing why aftermarket bellows cost less $$ -- they are not as good. When I was preparing to do my bellows, I read many topics here on the subject, and one common thread was the number of installation and longevity problems reported with aftermarket bellows. It is such a pain in the rear to change bellows that it really doesn't makes sense to cheap out on that part, IMO.

kulle

Petty Officer 1st Class
appreciate the comments!!! i'll likely get an OEM kit and cheap beer:)

achris

Balanced against the fact that you have to redo the job if you use non genuine, does that really make the genuine parts more expensive, or less.

Many times I have balked at the price of genuine parts, but I still buy them, because when you factor in the cost of redoing the job because those cheap parts fail early, they're ARE the cheapest option.

Chris....