I just got this rope and it has some frays.. Think it's OK to use??

Bayliner3.0

Seaman
Think this rope ok to use? I just got it and it has these frays..

Attachments

• IMG_20240210_182418.jpg
    IMG_20240210_182418.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240210_182341.jpg
    IMG_20240210_182341.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240210_182312.jpg
    IMG_20240210_182312.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240210_182152.jpg
    IMG_20240210_182152.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 10

alldodge

Staff member
That kind of line is used for water sports, should not be used where a higher level of safety is needed. Many use it for dock lines, fenders and such

I don't see any issue other then wonder what caused the damage

airshot

Rear Admiral
Will anyone's life or health going to be at risk ?? If not, then feel free to use it.

aspeck

Staff member
Definitely a cheap nylon rope. It is okay to use for skiing ... it with stretch and may break under an extremely heavy load ... I won't use it to pull a car or truck out of the mud or lift a heavy person up a cliff, but I would use it for skiing, tubing, or tying off my boat.

Bayliner3.0

Seaman
I got this for pulling a skier, kneeboard, wakeboard.
It is a 4 piece trick handle airhead wakeboard rope. It came like this damaged. Not sure how it happened. Rats at amazon lol..

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I got this for pulling a skier, kneeboard, wakeboard.
It is a 4 piece trick handle airhead wakeboard rope. It came like this damaged. Not sure how it happened. Rats at amazon lol..
If it was in my ski locker would have no issue using it. Having just bought it I would send it back unless you are in a time pinch

Bayliner3.0

Seaman
If it was in my ski locker would have no issue using it. Having just bought it I would send it back unless you are in a time pinch
Thanks for your opinion. I was wondering if others think it is OK to use, so you are +1.
Amazon refunded me and said to keep it or throw it out… I’d like to use it if it is safe.
This is my first ski rope for my first boat, so I am a total rookie in all of this. Boat safety says check ropes for frays, but no real guide lines on how many frays are too much.. Was wondering what other people with experience think..? Thanks

aspeck

Staff member
If you are a rookie, that probably means you are skiing with 2 skis instead of slalom skiing, and not running a slalom course, or barefoot skiing. Those types of skiing put a bit more pressure on a rope, but even if the rope breaks, it is generally not a major disaster. So, with that said, I would ski with it and get maybe a year or more out of it. Then when I was ready to move on to a better rope, cut the better pieces out of it and use it for deck lines or fender ropes.

Bayliner3.0

Seaman
Never use Nylon for a Ski Rope, far too stretchy.
Well no pros here, but it is listed as nylon pre stretched, low stretch rope. As opposed to high stretch nylon lol… Yeah maybe the next on I will spring for something better Poly E or Dyneema.

Bayliner3.0

Seaman
If you are a rookie, that probably means you are skiing with 2 skis instead of slalom skiing, and not running a slalom course, or barefoot skiing. Those types of skiing put a bit more pressure on a rope, but even if the rope breaks, it is generally not a major disaster. So, with that said, I would ski with it and get maybe a year or more out of it. Then when I was ready to move on to a better rope, cut the better pieces out of it and use it for deck lines or fender ropes.
Yep, 2 skis and a kneeboard. We will see if anyone gets good, then might get a slalom, or wakeboard. I was reading about pressure on the rope and yeah we probably wont be reaching any limits.
Thanks for the tip on cutting it up for dock lines or really just anything else.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've skiid with some pretty beat up ropes. They would either break or get knots in them from misuse when I wasn't looking. Tie it together for the day and keep on going. You just reminded me to get a new one for the upcoming summer......

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Use a lighter and melt the fray, then go skiing.

When it breaks, make another knot/eye splice

That appears to be polypropylene line and not nylon

Bayliner3.0

Seaman
Use a lighter and melt the fray, then go skiing.

When it breaks, make another knot/eye splice

That appears to be polypropylene line and not nylon
You might be right, Airhead has their dyneema line listed as nylon on Amazon too.. Material Field shows Nylon, description shows Dyneema.
So I just read Poly E floats 100%, and nylon may not float as well depending on construction.. Definitely another reason not to buy nylon and the price is really not a huge difference. Blew my budget this year on maintenance on the boat, towables, and a kneeboard.

alldodge

Staff member
Always use Poly for any kind of toy, it floats, and you want it to float

I would not use dyneema with toys, main reason is it's stronger then steel. While poly may not break if it gets wrapped around a limb, it has a better chance of not cutting it off. Case in point, gal got ankle tangled up in ski rope on watercraft. She got a real nasty burn, dyneema would have probably taken the foot off

Bayliner3.0

Seaman
Always use Poly for any kind of toy, it floats, and you want it to float

I would not use dyneema with toys, main reason is it's stronger then steel. While poly may not break if it gets wrapped around a limb, it has a better chance of not cutting it off. Case in point, gal got ankle tangled up in ski rope on watercraft. She got a real nasty burn, dyneema would have probably taken the foot off
Wow, ok that may have sold me. The thinner the rope the easier to cut in too so hmmm -2 for dyneema...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Dyneema makes great winch lines and tow lines (towing other boats)

Overkill for a ski rope