I hear a trickling of water in my engine bay

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
check your soft plug, (expansion plugs), I had one go on my motor (found out they were NOT copper)!
Almost filled her up wIth water!
"Honey I don't want you to get up set, but put your life jacket on, you phone in a plastic bag and grab those beers"......
I was cursing cuz I had just done the "U" joint cable and bellow and thought I screwed up.
Raced back to the ramp and OF COURSE Mom and Pop were loading their boat with towels, coolers etc rather than at the dock!
You can check the hull and.... by putting the plug in, and filling it with water... On the trailer!
Joe

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Do not fill the boat with water! To get enough in there to find the leak you will have to submerge the starter. Float it at the ramp, on the trailer, Look very carefully with a mirror, and a good light. You can even slip your cell phone in where ya can't see and take some pics.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Been a while but I think I figured out my leak. I put the plug in and put water into my engine compartment, under the engine, carefully. I found that my drain plug is the culprit, it was dripping pretty badly. Happy its not the lower unit! Any advice on how to repair? Should I get a new one, or just caulk (with the 3M stuff) and screw the old one in?

Bondo

Staff member
Any advice on how to repair? Should I get a new one, or just caulk (with the 3M stuff) and screw the old one in?

Ayuh,.... Take it apart, 'n see how rotten it is,....

Then take yer new found problem, 'n info to the restoration, 'n repair forum,....

This is the motor/ I/O forum,... you've moved beyond here,....