I have to play with my stick to get my Johnson to work??

PULLNIT

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1989 Johnson 150.The control is a single handle top mount,The kind you have to pull out to engage warm-up.When I stop motor in neutral and I try to start again-No power,Then I have to jiggle handle to get to turn over. Whats the deal??<br /> Thanks John

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: I have to play with my stick to get my Johnson to work??

Pullnit... We're all glad that there was no typo in your topic (grin). Now, that control incorporates a neutral safety switch. It's purpose is to eliminate any possibility of having the engine start in gear. Look at the bottom portion of the control assy. You'll see a small switch there with two wire going to it. It simply needs adjusting so that the contact button is engaged securely when in neutral.

PULLNIT

Seaman Apprentice

Hey Joe<br /> Is there a way this switch needs to be adjusted ? Also,it is hard to determine between nuetral,forward and reverse.Is there a way to fix this? Thanks John

Rod Holder

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey Pull,<br /><br />Don't feel bad, I have to hold on to my rod to make sure it does'nt end up in the water.<br /><br />........Rod Holder

gregs

Petty Officer 3rd Class

hey pullnit it sounds like you need a new johnson. get with rodholder, it sounds like he has enough for the both of you

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great title PULNIT. <br />Here is my shifter problem. <br />Became a first time boat owner last August.<br />Lost all ignition on our maiden voyage on the Niagara River but, only after I throttled down. <br />DEAD gauges and ignition, going the wrong way on the Niagara River.<br />Climb under the dash, find and change the blown fuse and away we go UNTIL I throttle down and them ... nothing again. (No problem with idling when the engine was running, just on throttle down at speed!!) Repeat the fuse change again with the wife and kids nervous as hell and this time I didn't throttle down until I got much closer to the ramp. $ 300.00 later at the marina, they traced the short to the trim switch on the trottle and rewired it.<br />Next trip on the mighty Niagara with the family and this time we had to be towed back with complete ignition short. The marina traced a wire short to the alternator. The casing bolt was stripped and was backing out of the case grounding on a wire. Turns out the top ALT. bracket was missing (DUH how did I miss that on my inspection). Ordered the top bracket only to find out the old mounting stud was broken off inside the motor. That repair hurt but my electrical system is worth the bill considering my family's safety.<br />I should have walked away from this deal when the old owner said the trailer wiring harness plug was gone and I had over 500km. to for home!<br /><br />I guess my point is, unless you are a great swimmer with no fears of the shrinkage factor, better check more then just your switch.<br />Check insulation, wires, switch adjustments and get a manual. <br /><br />Rumours are a ***** to live down and you can't ever afford to get caught with a broken shifter. <br />Good Luck!

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class

Forgot to add this to my 1st reply above.<br />My shifter control sounds like it the same as yours but works my 3.0L Omc I/O.

Chum Slick

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have my girlfriend work my tiller rod to ensure my Johnson works. I can't explain it but after a couple revs she manages to increase horsepower from 65 to around 125. She is also getting very handy at steering boat into dock during low light conditions. :eek: