I have the small classic boat itch. Talk me in or out of it

Natty Light

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have really taken a shine to the old classic lines of the small aluminum outboard runabout boats. The Starcraft Jupiter is a perfect example. I currently have a fish and ski that the family and I enjoy and this boat would be just a hobbie and something to cruise around in sporadically for nothing but the sheer coolness of it.
Is this a good or bad idea? I am not very mechanically inclined outside of 80s era jeeps, but maybe that would translate over. The extent of work that I do on my current boat is just changing a filter or plugs, and switching a prop now and then. I let the shop handle everything else.

Would an older boat be a bad idea for a guy like me or something I could manage? The simplicity of the older smaller aluminum boats makes me think it would be doable.

starcraft_large.jpg

nwcove

Admiral
Re: I have the small classic boat itch. Talk me in or out of it

go find yourself a nice classic, add a 50's era johnyrude and enjoy the hobby!! if you can wrench on a jeep, you can easily restore and maintain and oldie!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Just like any hobby it can be costly unless you have the background and tools to accomplish the restorations. I grabbed an old glass run about and with the exception of fiberglass work, have no regrets. Tin boats are much more straight forward, and because you have a boat already, you understand what the term B.O.A.T. really means. Head over to the restoration section and spend a few hours reading each night. You will see the fun in action, I'm addicted to this site, and boats in general. You couldn't pick a better place to learn, some really nice and very intelligent people roaming, helping, offering. Have fun!!

Bondo

Staff member

I have really taken a shine to the old classic lines of the small aluminum outboard runabout boats. The Starcraft Jupiter is a perfect example. I currently have a fish and ski that the family and I enjoy and this boat would be just a hobbie and something to cruise around in sporadically for nothing but the sheer coolness of it.
Is this a good or bad idea? I am not very mechanically inclined outside of 80s era jeeps, but maybe that would translate over. The extent of work that I do on my current boat is just changing a filter or plugs, and switching a prop now and then. I let the shop handle everything else.

Would an older boat be a bad idea for a guy like me or something I could manage? The simplicity of the older smaller aluminum boats makes me think it would be doable.

View attachment 216953

Ayuh,.... If ya went into willin' to become a Tinker'er, it can work Well,...

Otherwise,.... I see That as the downfall in yer plan,...

I'm addicted to this site, and boats in general.

Ayuh,.... No kiddin',.... Me too,...... ;) :laugh:

Last edited:

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

The only thing guys here enjoy more than helping with boat problems is helping others spend their money on boats.

64osby

Admiral

Jupiters are great boats as are most aluminum Starcrafts.

Don't know if you have looked over in the Starcraft forum. Lots of Tin boats and a great sticky on Starcraft restorations.

You might end up with a serious case of MBS.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

I think it's a great idea. I have been looking for that classic Starcraft for a winter project but haven't found one yet.
One thing about a hobby like this is that you can sink a lot of money into the wrong project. So picking your classic project carefully requires some knowledge.
But that's were iboats comes in!

hungupthespikes

Master Chief Petty Officer

Everybody should start with an aluminum runabout and never sell it, just add to the fleet. :Cry:
You could buy newer and let it grow into a classic. :thumb:

Be forewarned: once the wife/kids figure it out, you will find an empty house with a sticky "supper in the frig" when you get home.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I say go for it ! Work on it a little at a time . You still have the other boat to go out in every now and then during the restoration . The most fun for me is all the looks and complements ya get at the ramp and the docks . If your putting in reg fish and ski type boat most people just want you to hurry up and get out of the way ! :D

pckeen

Commander

Another option for you - pick up an older tin boat and put a newer four stroke on it - if you get the right tin boat (one in good shape, or one that you restore), you can get a great boat for much less than new. That way you don't have to worry about tinkering with a motor. I have a late 60s Starcraft Holiday, and put a one year old very lower hours motor on it, brand new controls and electrics - ended up with $11k into it....but a new boat would have been $25k plus taxes (figure $28-30 by the time all was said and done).

Peter

kfa4303

Banned

Go for it! Start with a classic tinnie and go from there. You won't make any money, but you won't have to spend much either and you'll have tons of fun. Plus you'll end up with a nice little runabout for your growing armada. You can do it!!!

Jeepcollector91

Petty Officer 3rd Class

View attachment 216953

Wrenching on Jeeps and wanting a Starcraft Jupiter?
Why does this sound very familiar to me.
Maybe because I have both?

Go for it, you will never regret it.

IMG_9399.jpg

chriscraft254

Commander

Think you should just buy another jeep. :) Wish I had my old girl back.

Vintin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Read my lips: 'I wouldn't waste my time on old boats and motors'.:joyous:
attachment.php

Attachments

• SAM_1698 - Copy (2).jpg
    SAM_1698 - Copy (2).jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

kfa4303

Banned

Man! That boat is cool looking, and an obvious chick magnet. Boats rule! Why not just tow the boat with a Jeep?

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Read my lips: 'I wouldn't waste my time on old boats and motors'.:joyous:
attachment.php

Awesome. I rely need to find a suitable project. Anyone else who has cool old tinny should post up as well!

Maybe this is a little off topic but I though I could squeeze into this thread without starting a new one.

I saw this on craigslist. Its an 1967 Glasspar that appears to be in excellent condition for the age and price. Would it be crazy to buy this boat without a test run? Its being sold by a pawn shop so limited history on the boat so is it insane to think this is a good deal?

GLASSPAR FISHING BOAT SALE/TRADE

Last edited:

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

Maybe this is a little off topic but I though I could squeeze into this thread without starting a new one.

I saw this on craigslist. Its an 1967 Glasspar that appears to be in excellent condition for the age and price. Would it be crazy to buy this boat without a test run? Its being sold by a pawn shop so limited history on the boat so is it insane to think this is a good deal?

GLASSPAR FISHING BOAT SALE/TRADE

Sure looks much newer than 1967, the boat does at least. It's clean, if it runs , I say grab it if it suits your needs.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014

What a shame to have restored the boat so nicely and ignored the motor. That motor is begging to be shown some love.

The original post, I did the same thing, wanted a cruiser so I found an old Chieftain to restore. Sure beats shelling out 30+k on a new boat that look like every other boat that's clogging the launches.

MikeB0307

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We wanted something unique, so we sold our newer boat and bought our '78 Angler because we liked her lines. It cost us half the price of a brand new cookie cutter boat to build a "brand new boat" just as we wanted it, not what options were available. I say go for it!

Last edited: