I have one question, maybe two!

wlbolerdo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently installed a water pump kit for my '92 70hp evinrude. I put it in a test tank, everything seems great except that I have a very small amount of fuel spitting out of the top carb. I have a thought on what it might be but I'd like some other opinions.
Thanks,
Wayne

freddyray21

Commander
Re: I have one question, maybe two!

a water pump kit and fuel spitting out of the top of the carb should have nothing to do with each other unless you knocked something loose.

wlbolerdo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was making sure the water pump was installed correctly and came across the fuel spitting. I had the air silencer off and noticed the spitting. I didn't mean to imply that one caused the other. Any ideas about the spitting coming from the carb throat at idle?
Sorry,
Wayne

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

probably a dirty,wore or maladjusted float valve needles in the carb not stopping the fuel from entering carb bowl when its full,you can remove the carb(s)and install new needle and seat,if the engine was running bad on that perticular cyl.and spraying out the carb,it would likely be a reed valve.that all said,often a a few taps ob the side of the bowl will dislodge debris and allow proper seating of the needle in its seat,if its a debris prob

wlbolerdo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I wouldn't say it's spraying, just barely spitting. The other two carbs are fine.

iwombat

Captain

Like mike said, you've probably got a float that isn't adjusted right, or a worn out float valve.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The spitting is normal. I have a 1992 60 hp that does the same thing. I believe it is the lube passage for the top bearing feeding back into the top carb where it bolts to the intake manifold. What you are seeing is pulses that push fuel/oil through the top bearing, then it flushes back through the top carb. Personally, it think it is a very odd design and may affect the idle, but I would not worry about it. Your engine will run fine the way it is.