I have issue with my 1996 40 hp Merc Manual

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Ok... Try HERE.... save ALL 21 files in the same folder. Let me know when you're done, I'll remove the link...

Fed

Commander
Thanks Chris :)

Bill, maybe you never really had it on your computer and you were using a bookmark or shortcut to access the files on the internet which have now disappeared as you can see in the link supplied on page 1.

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
I think I may have found the missing files on my apple computer, I came across a list of numbered PDF files and I had no idea what they were until I down loaded one of the files achris sent and when I went to look for it I saw all these PDF files and out of curiosity I clicked on one and Boom there they were. I quickly printed all the powerhead removal stuff and plan to print the cooling stuff after dinner

Just realized that there is no section on the cooling system and achris stuff has no cooling system info either????????

Last edited:

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Basically the cooling system is just the water pump, covered in the gearbox section, and the powerhead jackets... There is no separate section dedicated to it...

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
SO then if there is no section other then the water pump in the lower unit I will have to pull the Covers shown on page 4-6 numbered 8 and 18 and replace gaskets on same page numbered 10,15 and 17, is there any other place where water channels may be that I have missed. Don't think the water should be coming out steaming hot. Very warm or even hot but not steaming hot. While I have the power head off to replace the leaking powerhead base gasket and mid leg exhaust gasket I can reverse flush that with hi pressure water

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
DO I need to buy a whole powerhead gasket set or can I buy just the gaskets I need to pull the powerhead and any side cover gaskets to check and clean any water passages

Bill kubiak

Chief Petty Officer
HI Guys been while since I was here, weather is warmer and I want to tackle that motor,
Which motor you ask? Scroll up

here is a list of the parts I need
Water pump kit. impeller gaskets etc do not need the housing
The two gaskets on the power head, one is under the panel that is around the plugs, the other is under the panel on the side of the motor
Upper motor mounts, I think mine are shot
I have to pull the powerhead to change the gasket or gaskets between the head and the mid leg, what gaskets are these called, gotta pull the powerhead to fix leaking gasket
two carb overhaul kits