I have a 125 force outboard gas coming out of carbs

Hi new to this forum
I have a 125 force outboard on a 1985 bayliner carpi

I just bought it ( my first boat) and it started and ran fine on land(although I only ran it for a few seconds but once I dropped it in the water it started and ran for a few minutes just enough time for me to get about 400 ft offshore when it died out. Now it'll start and run for a second or too before gas drips out of the carbs and it dies out. I'm thinking that the fuel injectors are clogged but I'm not sure. I could use some help here ideas suggestions.?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: I have a 125 force outboard gas coming out of carbs

You don't have any fuel injectors. Your carbs need to be rebuilt.

cooter2

Recruit

Hi new to this forum
I have a 125 force outboard on a 1985 bayliner carpi

I just bought it ( my first boat) and it started and ran fine on land(although I only ran it for a few seconds but once I dropped it in the water it started and ran for a few minutes just enough time for me to get about 400 ft offshore when it died out. Now it'll start and run for a second or too before gas drips out of the carbs and it dies out. I'm thinking that the fuel injectors are clogged but I'm not sure. I could use some help here ideas suggestions.?

Sounds like a problem with the reeds to me.

O-P here

O-P here

hey guys thanks for the reply. i realize how stupid i sounded thinking i have injectors on a carbonated motor.

so alittle update: i figured it out was water and gas coming out of the carbs when it would cut out. plus the carbs had plenty of gunk inside sothe float might have been suck open alittle. so the i took off the bowls under the carbs,emptyed the water and cleaned out the carbs and ran it for like 20 minutes (longest its stayed running) so i thought i solved my problem but when i took it out for a test drive it stalled after ten minuts out so and ihad the same problem. i had to really play with it to keep it running and had the same problem of water dripping out of the carb so i think its gotta be water in the gas tank. i bought a plastic tank and im gonna see if hooking that up help and ill know my tank was just shot.

BlueFishCrisis

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You can install a fuel / water separator to see what's in your tank as well....

Jiggz

Captain

Your use of external clean tank will help in your troubleshooting. If the problem goes away with the external tank plan on emptying and cleaning the built in tank. You might want to install a secondary filter or as mentioned a water-fuel separator after the fuel pump before the carbs.

yeah i know about the water separator but i went with getting a 12 gal plastic tank and just bypassed the old tank completely... this did solve my problem and my motor is running good now.

but i have a new problem--- im getting white smoke coming out of the exhaust, not too heavy where i cant see anything behind me or anything but still noticeable. i cant figure out why it would be doing this. i knew blue smoke is oil, black is fuel, white is ussaully antifreeze but since it doesnt have antifreeze im lost on why its smokin white..

also it seems to bog down and cut out when idling and i have to keep revving it to keep it going(also to start it back up i have to almost WOT to get it to turn over then rev it a few times and if i let it sit in idle its bogs down and dies).. could it just be at a low idle and not getting enough fuel?

does anyone know the ideal idle speed these motor are tuned for?

appreciate all the help from everyone im new to the boating world and its my first time touching an outboard.. i know what i know from car motor and even at that im young and carburetors are alittle before my time

procraftguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like gas oil mix ratio or u foweled out plugs from the water replace plugs check oil injecter or your gas mix

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

First start with a compression and a spark test.
Then open the fuel pump and check the diaphram.
Pull the plugs and check how they're burning.
Then clean the carbs.
I use Dawn and water.
Then blow dry.
If they are really bad use a spray cleaner and then again with the dawn and then blow dry with compressed air.
The carbs have an air/fuel mix screw.
It needs to be set at 1 turn out from lightly seated.
Seafoam is a waste of $