I guess I'll start off the Memorial Day weekend funnies...

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didn't get the first two times he tried tried to cross the sandbar, but I got the following 3-4 times :)

I know there is a lot of video, but you really won't believe how many times he keeps trying to cross over ankle deep bar.

They live among us!

And please excuse the laughing, I had a few myself....

2012-05-26_16-33-06_610.jpg

2012-05-26_16-30-58_684.jpg

2012-05-26_17-02-44_36.jpg

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: I guess I'll start off the Memorial Day weekend funnies...

a bullet would be a waste of money. what a moron. i havent went near the water this weekend and dought i will.

foodfisher

Captain

At least there wasn't much danger of sinking the boat.

The Rooster

Ensign

Thanks for posting, "nikon". I'm working this weekend, but this almost makes it worth the trouble. As one of our fellow Iboaters says, "You can't fix stupid, but you can numb it w/ a 2x4 sometimes". Be careful out there !!!

Big Bubba

Why didn't he trie to back the boat up back into deeper water then try to stay in the deep water and go around the sand bar?

Big Bubba

Oh, ok, saw the last video and looks like he had some help getting it off the sand bar and he looks like his outboard started up for him. Looks like from the last video he is good to go and freed from the sand bar.:)

sam60

Captain

It's way easier to poke fun at people and post it up than it is to help them, but not near as satisfying.

Davem3

Chief Petty Officer

a bullet would be a waste of money. what a moron. i havent went near the water this weekend and dought i will.

i waited until this afternoon, thin out the heard of idiots, syndrome :facepalm:

newbie4life

Chief Petty Officer

I think I'd probably have gone out and helped him. It's stressful enough having things go wrong -- but to do it where there's a ton of people... But that's just me, I guess.

nikon

Petty Officer 2nd Class

He had 15 different people help and push him off, they then pointed to where it was shallow and where it was deep...what does he do? Gun it for the same shallow spot...All he had to do was back out and go out the way he came in, why he didn't is a mystery to me. (No way was I about to risk helping him after I saw him fire the engine right next to a guy that was pushing him off...)

And in the end, couple hours later, he was trying to start his engine and after about an hours worth of cranking and switching batteries I believe he finally gave up.

catfishcarl99

helping a boater in distress? sure i would. help an idiot make the same mistake over and over and over? NOPE! like the camera folks said. you cant fix stupid. if i saw a guy backing in with a huge hole in the side of his boat would i warn him? sure. would i waste my day helping him pull the 1/2 sunken boat out of the water after he didnt listen to the warning? heck NO! good luck and ide peddle off.

ill go tomorrow. only a few floating beer cans will remain of the ignorance. and i can fish in peace.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I rescued a stranded jet skiier and meanwhile watched a guy taking his boat way up on a sand flat with a falling tide, so I figured I'd be back for him, too.

This was in an isolated marsh behind a barrier island system. The jet skiier had run over her rope and drifted up into the marsh. No shoes, and over oyster shells (mistake one). No communications; (mistake two) even a cell phone in a zip lock would have done it, especially since she was with a group in a motor boat--except they were 2 miles away and out of sight when she broke down (mistake three). I didn't want to tow the ski having heard stories, plus the time and tide factor, so we left the ski and I gave her a ride back to her friends.

The bad part is that a coast guard patrol had just passed both of us and didn't see her, and wouldn't answer my radios. I tried to call them back.

Then the guy on the bar--I see a bunch of people walking around the boat. I said he's one of two guys--inexperienced and stuck until high tide at 10 pm, or a local who knows what he's doing and knows that water. He was the latter; he and his family set up on the correct edge and had a great day with a sand bar all to themselves. He was back the next day, too.

lonesouth

Petty Officer 2nd Class

How do you mean "the correct edge?

Philster

Captain

The correct edge/part/whatever of a piece of land, sand bar, etc that you won't get stuck on.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

The correct edge/part/whatever of a piece of land, sand bar, etc that you won't get stuck on.

Correct. You have to know where the bar drops off (or in this case, got a little deeper) and also factor in the push of current or wind. This guy was in a Carolina skiff (as I said, he knew what he was doing) which can have a bow high and dry as long as the motor and stern are in the water, and slide right off. You also have to know, and factor, the tidal drop and its timing, plus sometimes wind effect on tide. And you have to be mindful of chop against the transom that can swamp a boat. If you may need to walk it out, you need to know the bottom (sand v mud). Finally, the orientation of wind, open water and adjoining marsh determines if you are bug-free or gnawed to the bones.

it's definitely not the place for everyone--which is why we marsh rats have it to ourselves!