I Gotta do it this time(update over 11 days now)

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Its been 2 days since my last smoke. I got a terrible sore throat with the bug that has been inflicting people in my area. Trying to use this illness as a positive thing. Smelled smoke from my wifes cigarette and boy did it stink real bad. Guess I can understand why some people do whine so much about how it stinks. Maybe with the savings, I'll be able to do a repower later on,,,,,8)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: I Gotta do it this time

Hang in there! Good luck with it.

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

I am right behind ya!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

danpemby said:
I am right behind ya!

If thats the case, I hope the heck I don't make any sudden stops! Can you move to the side just a tad bit. I don't want any surprises!

rolmops

Vice Admiral

Come on smoking gentlemen. Go beyond verbal support.Take that extra step and join Mayfloat in his fight against nicotin.This can become a boaters community effort that will save you money and improve your health!

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

Ok I am now on your left, no quick turn to port. Actually i just dropped off a perscription for Chantix, it is supposed to help you stop. I know, i know, nothing will help if you don't want to, but this time the wifey is even on board. Lost my FIL to emphysema this year so she is now ready also.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

That sounds like a plan I tried, Mayfloat. It werked as long as i was sick. And the wife's smoking will soon begin to smell like fillet mignon again. Don't take this as scepticism, as I'm just relating to you with my own experiances. What werked for me (smokless since new jears day,2001), was nicorette gum (generic is cheaper,but does the same job). Maybe you could get the nicorette, and have a piece of gum ready for when you feel like smoking again? It couldn't hurt. Consider it an insurance policy.
BTW, You know I am a Christian, so I'll also be prayin for you, Bro, in addition of rootin for you.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Mayfloat I know you and I have had many a heated debate on the smoing issue. Nonetheless I wish you the best of luck.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

12Footer said:
... And the wife's smoking will soon begin to smell like fillet mignon again.

Ain't that the truth 12'. I've been off 'em since Dec 97. They still smell like fillet mignon with carmelized mushrooms!

Good luck to you SSM. You can do it. Use all the aids to help you make it through. Nicotene doesn't hurt ya, It's the stuff that usually goes along with it.

KaGee

Admiral

Don't give in SS... picture a nice new power plant!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Thanks shipmates, the support is very welcome. Some of ya may remember that I tried before using the patch. No, not the Budwieser one, the nicotine one! They made me jittery with a kick in the chest once in awhile. So with that failed attempt several years ago, I plan to stick with it.

Thanks Dan for moving to the side a bit. Guys that stand directly behind me makes me nervous. Some of my friends will say that is not a place to be if you value your sense of smell.

Kagee, yeah boy,,,that big block is looking better all the time! That is if I don't die a nervous wreck of needing a smoke! The urge hasn't hit as of yet,,,,,,,,lets see this time next week how things are.

Thanks again

Scoop

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Good Luck SS. I am rooting for you. Smoking is a hard thing to quit and everybody is different on the how they need to do it. My BIL quit one day and never missed it. I quit multiple times, the last time in 1987. I still do crave it every once in a while, but would never go back.

You can do it.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

You can do it!
The wife smoking will make it tougher though....
Don't hang around when she is smoking, go do something else away from her....
It smells like dog shiite, after the smoke itself is gone...
Yoour sense of smell will get better....
It will begin to get easier after a week....
In six months, I felt noticably better....
Good Luck!..d:)...JK

puddle jumper

Captain

Thay say if you can last 3 days you have it made.
Good luck not as easy as most think but we know you can do it.
pj

danpemby

Chief Petty Officer

Thay say if you can last 3 days you have it made.
Not sure who they are but you got to go a good 3 weeks to have a fighting chance. The stop smoking part is hard, but the NO ALCOHOL for at least a month is worse. Those two go together life Lavern & Shirley and must be avoided at all costs.

rwise

Captain

hang in there all of you that are trying to drop the cigs! It is not an easy thing to do! watched my Dad drop them when I was young and saw the heel he went trough!

Mike722

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good luck!d:) Just think of all the money you can now spend on boating.

Parrott_head

Chief Petty Officer

I'm a non-smoker but I'm rooting for you!!!

Hope it gets easier in time.....every family has horror stories of loved ones who suffered as a result of smoking......

GOOD LUCK!!!

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Well, it has been over 72 hours now without any. Yeah, I still feel ill from this crazy virus, but its weird that I don't have the desire to light up.

I am feeling better today, ate some sausage gravy on toast. Thats the most I have ate since saturday. Wife knew I was sick when I returned home from the boat with one more day of the weekend left. I let my SIL and 2 grandsons stay aboard for Saturday night. That really made their day but they wished I was well enough to have stayed also. However that was good for the father son bonding thing. Something that doesn't happen much in that particular family.

Thanks for the support,,,it is greatly appreaciated...I can and will overcome the dreaded habit. After 30 years of it, time to drop em!

ndemge

Commander

KEEP IT UP!

I'll be smoke free 3 years this newyears.

Did it cold turkey. It sucks at first, but you've gotten through the first few days with the sickness helping you is great.

The biggest problem I always quitting is my mind would play these EVIL TRICKS on me. My brain wanted a smoke, and would someone convince me that after going a week without one, it was ok to have one as reward. Don't listen!!!!

That 1 will set you back to day one to start all over again.

If you need one, just get up and walk away and find something to do, it will pass.

If you feel the need to grab one, call me, I'll verbally ***** slap the sence back into ya :)