I got Gas thiefs !!NEED ...

toomanyboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have ****** stealing my gas from a pontoon boat I leave in the water.<br />What I looking for is a special blend of gas for them next time that will teach them a lesson !!Around here the low-lifes like to steal everything.<br />Any formualsor ideas ???

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: I got Gas thiefs !!NEED ...

Mythbusters had a show on about putting stuff in the gastank to kill an engine. Can't remember exactly what finally killed it. <br /><br />How are they getting the gas out? With a mexican credit card? If so put a porta pot with the fill hose leading into it. A good dose of that crap in the mouth should do it. Of course what kind of revenge, what would they do to your toon then?

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Put a tank full of water with a cup of gas in it (for the smell) on the toon.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I don't have any formulation ideas, but is there any way you can put a locking cap on it? I would come up with a means to increase the difficulty to access the fill cap if there is no locking cap. Maybe some sort of hinged plate that swings over and is padlocked in a way that covers and prevents access to the cap. Might be unsightly, but better that getting your gas stolen. Good luck...

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

Depends if they are coming back over and over. If you want them to stop stealing.. Just put a nice big WELCOME Sign on the boat/pontoon. Put tape on the turn knob(for gas Tank) or a nice coat of grease. This way they also leave finger prints. Sign should read Welcome Gas theives, if you are reading this sign, I now have your picture on Video Cam. Thanks and I will be seeing you sometime soon. It works all the time and you won't have to worry about them blowing up the boat..Or a warning that you have a Video Cam with an alarm to your cell phone.. Go down and buy a Alarm with infrared light that can chime everytime someone gets close to the boat. Put a battery operated light by the sign so it can be seen at night also. Run the light sepaprate from your boat battery, that way you save on your batteries. <br />Check your over flow lines if you have them on your boat to make sure they didn't cut them. This is the quickest way that they can go right into the tank also.<br />Good luck

Homerr

Commander

Very good ideas BD.<br /><br />You can either make or (I think) buy a small flashing LED to simulate an alarm system.<br /><br />I've built a few of these for some of my older cars and put the LED in a place you can clearly see it flashing... especially at night.<br /><br />You can get these parts at Radio Shack.<br /><br />You could also get those fake security cameras. I'm sure EBay has them. Use them along with the welcome signs... I doubt they will return.<br /><br /><br />H.

toomanyboats

Petty Officer 3rd Class

They unhooked the two portable tanks and just poured it into something,Its not the first time this happens.I live in a privite gated community on a lake and the docks and all the moored boats are at the marina area.The low lifes drink at the launch ramp and cause trouble,I thought if i made it very inviting again and have a special little mixture for my new freinds then if thier motors fry I can spot them easy. :mad: :mad: :mad:

ZmOz

Captain

Hook up a solar electric fence charger to any large metal parts you can find. :D (not the gas tank itself unless you have good fire insurance :) )

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Get a mirco switch. Hook it up with the normally closed terminals to your horn/battery. Put the switch under your gas tank holding the switch button down. When the tank is removed, your horn will sound and hopefully drawing attention to your toon.

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

Install a couple of pieces of angle iron on top of the tank to strap it down. Bolt it through the framework on the 'toon (if possible). This way they can't lift it out. I doubt they're siphoning it cuz 'toon tanks sit pretty low and you'd have to get the "doner" tank lower than that for it to work.<br /><br />If you want to play it evil (and who don't) just put some green food coloring in a tank of pure gas. They run that for a few minutes in their outboard and they'll be in the market for a new powerhead. :p <br /><br />Just remember about it before YOU go boating!<br /><br />spots

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

fyi- the food coloring is only there to resemble gas with two stroke oil in it.<br /><br />spots

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

I like that idea CN. I'd also just ad one oz of oil along with the food dye. (I wonder if the food dye would even dissolve in the gas?)

Pony

Rear Admiral

But if the thief's outboard is oil injected it wont hurt him, just as the pre-mix wont hurt him either.

deeep water

Petty Officer 2nd Class

dont play with these fools if you hurt them they can sue you,, find them at the boat ,,photograph them ,charge them go to court and get a restraining order,contact all the ppl who have gas missing get the marine police involved if the dump gas they spill gas so get EPA involved the cops will know you meen it when you say get them or we will,,any damage done in the furture they are suspect one and two,,have them called in and make them account for their time ,,do not touch them or theraten them,,unless you catch them verry verry far out in the lake ,,it was a dark and stormy night j/k,,its ppl like them that burn boats or trash your moter

Bondo

Staff member

Just fill the tanks with Diesel Fuel,............

bubbakat

Captain

Go to your local drug store and get you a quart of sodium silcate (sp) it is liquid glass.<br />Mix it in with your pre mix in a tank that you sure do not want to use for your self. That stuff will hit the top of the pistons and turn to glass hence a seize up. I know this stuff will work because I have used it on several ocasions for theives. The kicker is they don't know what happened until they spend the bucks to find out.<br />I hate a dang theif.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I had that problem once and it never happend a 3rd time!!! I like Calicokids idea and bubbas sounds good too!!! ;) :cool:

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by bubbakat:<br /> Go to your local drug store and get you a quart of sodium silcate (sp) it is liquid glass.<br />Mix it in with your pre mix in a tank that you sure do not want to use for your self. That stuff will hit the top of the pistons and turn to glass hence a seize up. I know this stuff will work because I have used it on several ocasions for theives. The kicker is they don't know what happened until they spend the bucks to find out.<br />I hate a dang theif.
I like BBK's idea. There is no way that they could really trace it back to you. <br /><br />"Whadya mean the gas he stole from me ruined his engine your Honor. I didn't have any gas stolen from me." :p ;) :D <br /><br />Methinks if I was a gas thief, I wouldn't steal from the same portable tanks more than once. You can do things to portables that you wouldn't want to do to built in tanks.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Your situation sounds like an ideal opp to get rid of old household and automotive chemicals.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

This is going to be a really stupid question, but if they are portable tanks, why not just take them with you? With the cost of fuel as it is, I would not have a problem with toting two portables. Use one of those wheeled carts that I am sure is laying around somewhere. Never make it easy for thieves....