I got BAD fuel in my below deck tank.

NYBo

Admiral
Re: I got BAD fuel in my below deck tank.

phase separation starts within weeks on e10 if it sits. it takes the constant agitation of a return fuel line to prevent it.
Phase separation only occurs when more water than the ethanol can keep in solution gets into the tank; time per se has nothing to do with it.

If it still smells like gas, burn it up. if it doesnt, get a fuel siphon pump and change it.
+1

fishrdan

Admiral

Siphoning the fuel out of the tank's outlet fitting isn't going to work if (if) the tank has an "anti-siphon' valve... You have to pump it out if going through the anti-siphon valve. Or, if you have access to the fuel tank fittings, remove the anti-siphon valve, attach a regular barbed hose fitting and pump the tank, then replace the anti-siphon valve.

You can pickup a cheap electric fuel pump off Ebay $30. I bought a 25' roll of 5/16 fuel line from Checker Auto a couple years ago for $25, been using it for lots of things including pumping out the boat tank. (Just don't use that fuel line for repairing the boat, not USCG approved.)

PrinceValium

Chief Petty Officer

When I needed to drain my tank on the old ski boat I bought all I had to do was remove the fuel line going to the outboard and use the syphon bulb like I was pressurizing the fuel line and it syphoned the gas out and into a container I had for disposal. It got most of the fuel out and from there I used some seafoam an filled it with good fuel.

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class

A few years ago I got a ton of water in my tank. Long story..... anyway here is how I solved the problem. I went to Academy (you can probably find them elsewhere) and purchased a hand held siphon/bilge pump. Its made of plastic and rubber and has no parts that can spark or create heat. On the gas tank I removed the fuel guage sending unit which gave me a small whole to work through without having to worry about antisiphoning issues. I placed the pump in the whole and went to work! I had about 30 gallons of fuel and 5 gallons of water. I did notice something that may interest some of you. All the water was at the bottom because the water is heavier than gas.....right? So I probably could have stopped once I started getting clean gas, but I continued because I had put all sorts of chemicals in the fuel trying to get rid of the water. Anyway, when I was done, I threw away the pump thinking it would be ruined in a few hours since it had gas in it all day. Total cost.......about $20.00 not including the 55 gallon drum I borrowed to put the gas in.

If your unsure, just get rid of it. Hurry! Good ole' gas aint a getting any cheaper!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

if it's not that bad but is affecting your confidence, you can still burn it in the car, so you haven't wasted anything but your time.