I got a (new)question for you Starcraft guys, Officially a Project

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Bonz said:
Though I'm sure with what we have learned here we both will do just fine.

I know it'll come out it'll just be the amount of effort and expletives involved.

GA said:
It looks like you're almost ready to give the paint a try, TDF. Have you decided on a method - Spray, roll & roll, roll & tip, brush, or have someone paint her for you?

I fear(know) painting weather is gone for the year. But is ok once stripped I'll flip her back over and start fitting things to bide my time.
I've watched many videos and seen very nice work done using roller and brush but I have never laid down any kind of finish with a brush or roller that resembles smooth. I'm a whiz with rattle cans though so hopefully the transition to a gun will be painless. That said paint will be sprayed. :nod:

SBB said:
You have that baby in it's birthday suit. Nice job!

Thanks! Still a bit left to do but she's definitely showing some leg.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
So much for my two more sessions plan, did get some more done but ran out of stripper.

Still have most of the bottom on the other side to do but getting closer. With no heat in the garage I don't know how much more I'll get done this year as I hate to flip it to start fitting things just to have to flip it back to finish stripping it.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks guys glad to have that chunk out of the way. I got it flipped back over and back on the trailer (Mrs. helped with that) wanted to get the inside power washed but the car needed brakes and by the time I got that handled it was dark and supper time. Oh well another day.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
No boat work done as this is our busiest time of year at work I did however get to spend much quality time with family.

So here's hoping everyone had a very MERRY CHRISTMAS! and wishing everyone a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

May it be prosperous for all with much success in boat rebuilding and quality family time.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ya wanna get some SE primer on her ASAP to stop the corrosion process. Wipe her down with some Vinegar water first, dry her off then shoot the primer. Have a Happy New Year!!!
Happy-New-Year-2016-Wallapapers.jpg

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks Woody,

My garage is not heated and it has been too cold for any kind of painting. Couple that with busy at work and nothing is getting done. The stripper seems to of left an oily reside which seems to be holding it at bay. If not I figured on having to scuff for paint any way so hopefully that will take care of any oxide layer that should form.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Aluminum oxide is a natural protective coating. It isn't corrosion. Just do regular paint prep before priming when warmer weather shows up.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Been a while since I updated this,

Getting some sporadic nice days is making me want to get working. Working nights for 60hrs a week for the last month or so is helping the budget but not so good for accomplishing anything boat related.

Only progress the last few months besides staring at her when I got the snowblower out was to get her anit-turtled and pressure wash the inside. In the wash process I found leaks along the SB seam and at the bottom of the breast plate where the hull tips are pinned together.

So wire brushing the seams and rivets is next to prep for sealer. Time to choose between Coat it and Gluvit. Anyone that has used the Coat it care to compare it to what they've read from others Gluvit experiences? Application being the area I'm wondering about.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I've only used Gluvit on my boats but I think they're both runny 2 part epoxy so it will get into the seams and seal them up all the same.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks WM, I just wondered if one was more runny than the other, guess in the end may not make a difference.

jbcurt00

Staff member
IIRC, the Coat-It should be moderately less runny w/ the Kevlar (fibers?) added to it.

Watermann

You're right the coat it does have those fibers in it.

One of products that I saw used in a rebuild here and have read good things in other forums that makes me consider changing is Fasco 9x epoxy

Last edited:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
From the product page WM linked said:
1. Amazing hardness and abrasion resistance.

I thought the beauty of the Gluvit that it flexed with hull. Perhaps it's (Fasco) 4. Tenacious adhesion to aluminum, steel, fiberglass, and most plastics. Tensile strength exceeds 7000 psi. makes up for it's ability to flex?

Thanks JB I think I like the idea of more runny to hopefully get wicked in better as I look at the rivets holding the the ribs and wonder how to get even coverage all the way around them.

Watermann

Gluvit will flex and the Fasco 9x stuff is called Steel Flex but I haven't read that Coat-it is flexible?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Just an interesting tidbit to share,

Renewed the boat registrations today and per a note in one of the letters I received about the HIN on the 18SS I informed the recorders office that the AreoCraft went to the landfill.

Was told the AC will forever remain titled in my name but be listed as inactive status. Didn't think to ask why at the time, just accepted it. Not going to lose sleep over it but now I wonder if/how it will come back to me in the future.

64osby

Admiral
^^^ Years in the future big brother will determine that FG boats create a health risks when buried.. They will perform a massive search of all past owners to determine who will be paying for the billions in class action settlements. :eek: