I experienced a "Road Rage" incident.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I'm going into the grocery store the other day and a older model black Toyota Camry is parked near me. I see the licence plate frame has the name of a car dealership I recognize but not why I recognize it. I also notice the back seat of this heap that hasn't been washed in a decade has crap piled in the back seat from floor to ceiling door to door. I go in and get my stuff. When I come out I glance at this mess in the back seat and look at the plate frame and realized I know the owner of the car lot. I do not stop and scope it out I walk by and glance at this mess and shake my head. Out of nowhere I hear a guy scream at me take a picture buddy then F off and I might not punch you out for stealing my stuff. This kid is around mid to late 20's, 5'8" maybe 160 pounds. I'm 66 years old, 6 foot and 185, I don't know if I still have it but not afraid to find out how he's going to "punch me out." I only have about 40 years on him and the audacity to threaten a Sr. citizen even though I don't want to admit it I am at 66. I say to him, "Little boy I don't know who you are and it's obvious you don't know who I am so why don't you F off." He goes ape poop and is screaming at the top of his lungs as his face turns Ferrari red and now everyone in the lot is staring at him. I swear if he were older he would have had a heart attack. And the language on this child. I go about my business as he is flipping out and I throw him the occasion smart *** comment myself in a very calm voice, I think this drove him nuts as well. Too many witnesses for him to do anything and he says just that and I'm the luckiest man because of it and the threats continue. Personal weapons are not a thing out where we live, in the city it's different as knife and gun play has become common place. But nutbars usually don't care where they are when they pull a weapon out. Now he says he knows where I live and he will be there in 30 minutes to "punch my lights out." I get in my truck and drive to the other end of the plaza to the pharmacy. He screaks to a stop behind me where I'm parked and is screaming disgusting sexual profanities and threatening me bodily harm through the window. A young woman is standing right there with her 8 year old or so little girl and she gives him a piece of her mind as she is typing in his plate number in her phone and tells him she's going straight to the OPP (Ontario Provincial Police) detachment in town. She suggests I go to the Cops as well. I explain to her if I do lodge a complaint and he is charged then he really knows where I live and I don't need that to think about as we are isolated where we live and I'm not always home when my wife is. The 30 minutes has come and gone but no "freak out tough guy" anywhere to be seen. I told my lady I can't believe a kid would come onto an old guy like me. She said it might be a compliment because he may have thought I look a lot younger than I am. I don't think tough guy will come around but if he does I have my wife here and that's all I'm concerned with so I might have to come out of retirement for 2 minutes, that's all it will take, maybe less. There's a saying about the city I grew up and worked in until I retired. "How do you know you are in somebody's house in Hamilton?"........ "There's a baseball bat at the front door." The strange thing about the entire thing is I don't think my heart rate went up much if at all.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
unfortunately there are members of the latest generation that have no manners or civility.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I usually handle such things differently. Ignoring such a person seem to be the best option. If they don't get any feedback, they usually move on. I don't have anything to prove to anyone including myself. However, I have all the needed protection available any time I need it. But that would have to be a life and/or death situation for that amount of force... Feedback from you fueled his rage and saying nothing is a better way to defuse such people. JMHO

Old Ironmaker

Captain
unfortunately there are members of the latest generation that have no manners or civility.

Scott I don't think Millennials have the market on bad manners. Some of the worst out there are Sr's. I found that out when Mom and Dad lived in the retirement home. Please and thank you were words some must have forgotten when they turned 80. More than a few times have I seen senior citizens cut the line. Not many will call them out on it, I however don't have a problem telling off an old geezer, but never load enough for anyone to hear me because I have been taught very good manners, that plus I'm Canadian, we apologize for any and everything.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I usually handle such things differently. Ignoring such a person seem to be the best option. If they don't get any feedback, they usually move on. I don't have anything to prove to anyone including myself. However, I have all the needed protection available any time I need it. But that would have to be a life and/or death situation for that amount of force... Feedback from you fueled his rage and saying nothing is a better way to defuse such people. JMHO

I basically was ignoring him as I went along putting the viddles in my truck and told him to F off once. It wasn't like I was standing toe to toe with him being a jerk wad myself. Ignoring him was sending him off even more me thinks. Anyway I haven't been in that position for over 40 years and found it so strange I had to share.

Old Ironmaker

Captain

Thanks for your PM. It appears I am unable to reply to it. Yes it is a different world we live in. The major reason we decided to leave the city and move out to the country 20 years ago. The nightly gunshots we heard from our downtown condo was enough to bail. It's even worse now. We can not defend ourselves but more importantly even defend our loved ones if the time arrives. The frightening part is knowing you are completely defenceless in public and a criminal knows that as well. At home that criminal is in for a surprise. Yes we live in Canada.

Last edited:

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Is pepper spray allowed up there? It could come in handy sometimes.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Is pepper spray allowed up there? It could come in handy sometimes.

If something that can do harm to another citizen is deemed illegal everywhere in Canada, including pepper spray. There are areas in the Arctic where certain weapons can be used for protection from predators such as Bears and Wolves. I'm surprised the authorities haven't banned Hockey sticks, yet. One requires a FAC (firearm acquisition) permit to buy a BB Gun here. I was a member of a gun club back in the 80's and had a legal handgun. I was the only person in my family and amongst my friends that had a legal handgun. I now do not know a single person here that owns a handgun. Many own a long gun or more than 1 long gun.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sad to hear you are defenseless and can't own any gun. That is the prime reason we in America constantly fight for our Second Amendment as some demand we be a gun free society, while the nightly shooting happen constantly... I think a perfect statement is, Shooting ducks in a barrel, fits to that scenario so sadly...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
In my area we saw an influx of city folks over the summer.----The park where they want and have taken up spots on small beaches to enjoy the outdoors.------Glad they are mostly gone now.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Sad to hear you are defenseless and can't own any gun. That is the prime reason we in America constantly fight for our Second Amendment as some demand we be a gun free society, while the nightly shooting happen constantly... I think a perfect statement is, Shooting ducks in a barrel, fits to that scenario so sadly...

gm280, no one said we are defenceless and can't own guns up here, or down here depending if one can read a map properly. We can own as many semi-automatic long guns as we wish. That is if one qualifies to own a gun. It is handguns that are deemed illegal here. Again if you pre qualify you may be someone that might own a handgun. I applied and around 16 months later was given my permit to own a handgun. I was a member of a gun club, that is one way to get a gun permit. Individuals that carry large sums of cash and valuables such as jewelers. Back when Michael Moore made the documentary "Bowling in Columbine" at that time Canadians owned more firearms than Americans per capita.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, I'm in Canada too and don't know a single person who owns a handgun, or at least admits it. I like it that way. I remember when the local police were first allowed to wear sidearms in 1998! It was a big deal here back then. Gun violence here is rare and usually involves drugs with low lifes shooting other low lifes. Most times we rarely lock the door or the vehicles at night!

Old Ironmaker

Captain
gm280, no one said we are defenceless and can't own guns up here, or down here depending if one can read a map properly. We can own as many semi-automatic long guns as we wish. That is if one qualifies to own a gun. It is handguns that are deemed illegal here. Again if you pre qualify you may be someone that might own a handgun. I applied and around 16 months later was given my permit to own a handgun. I was a member of a gun club, that is one way to get a gun permit. Individuals that carry large sums of cash and valuables such as jewelers. Back when Michael Moore made the documentary "Bowling in Columbine" at that time Canadians owned more firearms than Americans per capita.

I said we are defenceless, sorry. I can't argue both sides of a discussion. What I meant to say is we are defenceless in public, someone trespasses onto your property we can take some action but be careful. Thieves here have been known to sue homeowners and be awarded for personal damages after they get a smack across the face with a goalie stick.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Yeah, I'm in Canada too and don't know a single person who owns a handgun, or at least admits it. I like it that way. I remember when the local police were first allowed to wear sidearms in 1998! It was a big deal here back then. Gun violence here is rare and usually involves drugs with low lifes shooting other low lifes. Most times we rarely lock the door or the vehicles at night!

I never locked our doors up until around the early 80's when break ins to steal car stereos became a thing. Then I started. We always locked our homes up tight as far back as I can remember, but only at night. Our door's are not locked during the day. People in the US don't believe me. You are 100% correct KJM, most gun violence is criminal on criminal and I'm OK with that. It is the little children in the city that are sitting in their homes and a stray bullet kills them. It's when I hear that I am incensed beyond description.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, when innocent people get shot by random bullets, its totally senseless. You would think the idiots would at least make sure where they are aiming, but then they are idiots, and probably high as kites to boot. I have often thought that the Gov should have programs where they give drugs to addicts in safe places and safe needles and correct amounts of drugs, etc. The crime rate would go way down and the program would probably pay for itself in less inmates in jail. Most crime revolves around drugs and the police will never stop it.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Yeah, when innocent people get shot by random bullets, its totally senseless. You would think the idiots would at least make sure where they are aiming, but then they are idiots, and probably high as kites to boot. I have often thought that the Gov should have programs where they give drugs to addicts in safe places and safe needles and correct amounts of drugs, etc. The crime rate would go way down and the program would probably pay for itself in less inmates in jail. Most crime revolves around drugs and the police will never stop it.

KJM our Gov does give dope to people in a controlled environment everyday, at zero charge. Methadone clinics, I didn't even know they existed up until a few years ago when my wife told me the pharmacy where she works doles out methadone. Then she told me of one of the employees there gets her hit of methadone everyday at the start of her shift. She is your typical Soccer Mom complete with a minivan and a baby seat in it. A regular early 30 something Mom. I couldn't believe it but it's a fact Jack.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yeah, I knew about the methadone clinics, they have them here too. Those are for people trying to quit and you need a perscrition. I also don't think you can get it indefinitely. I was more thinking giving out something like oxycontin pills to addicts just so they wouldn't need to steal or other crime to get their fix. Just give it to them, maybe set up a registry and give them a card that tracks how much they get. It would lower crime and put the dealers out of business.