i broke down and did it... i bought SMART TABS

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: i broke down and did it... i bought SMART TABS

I was able to reach the cross member by hanging the straps straight down, but the clasping mechanism (metal part -- not the strap) was teetering on the bottom corner of the hull bottom and transom... not good!<br /><br />So I picked these up today because my tabs are due tomorrow, and we are going out Sat.<br /><br /> http://www.immioutdoors.com/boatbuckle/ <br /><br />Watch the TV comercial.<br /><br />Hope this helps.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by inthesticksnow:<br /> I was able to reach the cross member by hanging the straps straight down, but the clasping mechanism (metal part -- not the strap) was teetering on the bottom corner of the hull bottom and transom... not good!<br /><br />So I picked these up today because my tabs are due tomorrow, and we are going out Sat.<br /><br /> http://www.immioutdoors.com/boatbuckle/ <br /><br />Watch the TV comercial.<br /><br />Hope this helps.
Those look great -- perfect for what you are trying to accomplish, plus they help with the tangled strap syndrome. I want to get me a pair.

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here are a few pictures of my boat's transom, where should I put them? I am going to get the tiedown straps that bolt to the trailer and ratchet, so the current straps are not an issue<br /><br />
062809.JPG
<br />
062810.JPG
<br />
062814.JPG
<br />I just had to add one of the entire boat :D :D

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Mercury;<br /><br />It would apear that you will need to mount the tabs below the ladder, but it is hard to tell since we can not determine the exact width and heigth of the space. I do not like to recommend mounting the tabs under the swim step because the swimmers may attempt to use the tabs for a step. This is not only a problem with damaging the tabs but a potential injury issue. It appears that this boat is about 16' which means that you may be able to use the smaller plates and move them to the inside of the ladder. <br /><br />As a side note: I am not a fan of boarding the boat from the stern next to the prop. Call if you wish 800-233-0194

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

NautiJohn,<br /><br />The following picture shows one option of where I could mount the Smart Tabs (left side of the transom strap).<br /><br />
LeftSide.jpg
<br /><br />The next picture shows option two of where I could mount (right side of strap).<br /><br />
RightSide.jpg
<br /><br />In your opinion, which of the different mounting positions would you choose? I am assuming that in either position I’d still have the planing benefit, but that if mounted toward the far left I’d have better “stability”?<br /><br />Before I start drilling hoes, I am slanted toward mounting on the inside (there’s plenty of room away from the drive there). I am slanting this way because I will not have to move my straps from the originally designed position… but if I will have greater stability, I will mount toward the outside of the transom.<br /><br />Please let me know asap, as I might mount Sat before we go out.<br /><br />Thank you!

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, sorry, I see now in the instructions which came in the box (not the online .PDF I was studying earlier):<br /><br />"For the best lateral stability mount plate just inside the chine, or as far outboard as possible depending on the hull configuration and other restrictions."<br /><br />Will be mounting tomorrow before we go out, and replying as needed.

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by inthesticksnow:<br /> NautiJohn,<br /><br />The following picture shows one option of where I could mount the Smart Tabs (left side of the transom strap).<br /><br /> http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/bc/1aa2ef12_m418b4725/bc/My+Documents/LeftSide.jpg?BCNS5sCB1x5.uxEW <br /><br />The next picture shows option two of where I could mount (right side of strap).<br /><br /> http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/bc/1aa2ef12_m418b4725/bc/My+Documents/RightSide.jpg?BCNS5sCBiDxwd7gf <br /><br />In your opinion, which of the different mounting positions would you choose? I am assuming that in either position I’d still have the planing benefit, but that if mounted toward the far left I’d have better “stability”?<br /><br />Before I start drilling hoes, I am slanted toward mounting on the inside (there’s plenty of room away from the drive there). I am slanting this way because I will not have to move my straps from the originally designed position… but if I will have greater stability, I will mount toward the outside of the transom.<br /><br />Please let me know asap, as I might mount Sat before we go out.<br /><br />Thank you!
Your picture links didn't work for me. I'd like to see what your solution was. Looks like this is what I will need to do too.<br /><br />nautiJohn How tall are the actuators? I measured my boat and I think that the ST's will work, but I was wondering the hight of the actuators to get a measurement on where it would need to mount to the transom. The molded swim platform seems close to where the bracket will mount...I want to be sure I have the room.<br /><br />Thanks.

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Country,<br /><br />The links are working for me in both Foxfire and IE. I uploaded them to my Yahoo Briefcase. I will post a picture tomorrow (Sunday) of where I mounted them, plus some observations and comments as to the instalation as well as the performance of today's 60 mile outing with the tabs installed.<br /><br />If others don't have working links, please let me know... I can't imagine why they wouldn't work, as I have done the Briefcase thing before.

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Following is a picture of the full rear view of Tabs installed:<br /><br />
FullRear.jpg
<br /><br />Installation:<br /><br />The next two pics are of Gelcoat cracked (blown out) as screws were driven into the hull… but I am sorry that the pictures don’t show the real damage as the tape and hinge in the pictures cover most of it. But I did try to show as best I can. I used silicon to “seal” the tops of the hinges because behind them the gel was blown out as the screws went in. I used the 1/8th drill bit as indicated per instructions, after a 1/16th inch pilot hole for each hole (my choice).<br /><br />In the next picture you can see a black spot above the right screw, under the silicon bead. That’s the top of a cavity/hole pried out from the gelcoat as the screw went in. Not pleased with this as this is a brand new virgin hull.<br /><br />
ChippedGell1.jpg
<br /><br />In the next pic, if you look just to the left of the screw to the dimple above it, you will see gelcoat blown out here too… it’s lifted… didn’t fall out. This is underneath the hinge, photographed as I am lying down on the street, and I didn’t seal there yet. <br /><br />
ChippedGell2.jpg
<br /><br />The installation did not go well, in my opinion. Maybe it’s my hull, because the upper brackets (two holes each but higher up) when installed did not produce gel “blowout”. I was per instructions/template and ½ inch above the bottom of the transom for the tabs themselves.<br /><br />The symptoms above, in my opinion, are from driving a certain sized screw into a too small hole… but I was NOT going to assume that the wrong sized screws were shipped and drill 3/16” holes and have them strip-out! So I stuck with the instructions.<br /><br />As far as I can see with my eyes, I have a problem here in the making. There’s no way this tape is going to seal the screw-holes as the cavities are larger than the tape can cover.<br /><br />Installation Repair:<br /><br />I would really appreciate advice on how to repair this… my son (in the Coast Guard) said 5200 would seal up the hull. I mentioned to him that maybe I should back-out the screws, one at time and fill the holes with 5200, and drive them back in in hopes of sealing everything up. He thought that might work.<br /><br />Performance:<br /><br />All adjustments were at mid-point. Stability was greatly improved immediately… so let’s get that straight right away. We have to cross/negotiate a lots of large wakes as we travel due to large boats coming toward us and passing us, but at WOT I “felt” the bow was too low. I raised (while in the water) the top brackets to raise the degree of the tabs to lessen downward pressure on the bow. There might have been an improvement… I’m not sure.<br /><br />I still felt that the bow was too low, but was unable to adjust the tabs’ pressure adjustment to its lowest setting, as these were by now well below the water. <br /><br />Unfortunately, today, we were unable to get out and test the new pressure settings as I had hoped… I am hoping they will work well as they are now set to the lowest settings, but can’t report yet. My only “complaint” at this point is that the bow was too low at higher cruising speeds and WOT… I feel the boat is “dragging” somewhat, but will report after the next outing with the new settings.<br /><br />All-in-all, I like the tabs mainly for stability, especially on the river with large wakes to negotiate as the speedsters fly by us. I HATE it when my hull SMASHES (BAMB BAMB) at 30 + mph while trying to cut across the wakes. The tabs have allowed me to pilot sort of “parallel” the wakes and “trace” them rather than cut across them… a huge advantage with the stability as we roll much less.<br /><br />So I can report about the planing ability after next time out. <br /><br />But due to the fact that I had THREE Danforth packets of “Polymer Coated Chain with two 5/16” Galvanized Shackles” shipped with my order (Gawd knows what these things are which were not ordered by me), I am HOPING that I have the 60lb Smart tabs installed (which I did order) and not the 80 or 90 lb set which require 3/16th” pilot holes! In any event, I’d like some feed back and of course I will report about the least-pressure setting after next time out.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Inthesticksnow;<br /><br />I would bet that the screws where fairly hard to turn inot the holes. Sorry you experienced the chipping of the gel coat. Fiberglass does not give like wood or aluminium and therefor may need to be drilled out or reamed out a bit larger. Your son is correct, 3M 5200 will do a great job of sealing the holes and chipped areas, but understand that this is both an adheasive as well as a sealant.<br /><br />If you are running too bow down the reducing the pressure (at the plate bracket only) will cure this. This adjustment will not change the angle (25 degrees). The angle is adjusted at the transom bracket at the top of the actuator.

CntrySngr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Originally posted by inthesticksnow:<br /> Country,<br /><br />The links are working for me in both Foxfire and IE. I uploaded them to my Yahoo Briefcase. I will post a picture tomorrow (Sunday) of where I mounted them, plus some observations and comments as to the instalation as well as the performance of today's 60 mile outing with the tabs installed.<br /><br />If others don't have working links, please let me know... I can't imagine why they wouldn't work, as I have done the Briefcase thing before.
Still don't work for me. Don't you have to give people permission to view your briefcase in Yahoo!? I've never used them, so I don't know. How about posting them as images here instead of links?

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by Stevens:<br /> Those picture links still do not work.<br /><br />Too bad about the gel coat chipping. Did you chamfer the holes? Here's another one who described the same problem when he didn't chamfer the holes:<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011570#000000
No I didn't champher (countersink). I put the links in as URLs using the
tools. They should work now.

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Originally posted by nautiJohn:<br /> Inthesticksnow;<br /><br />I would bet that the screws where fairly hard to turn inot the holes. Sorry you experienced the chipping of the gel coat. Fiberglass does not give like wood or aluminium and therefor may need to be drilled out or reamed out a bit larger. Your son is correct, 3M 5200 will do a great job of sealing the holes and chipped areas, but understand that this is both an adheasive as well as a sealant.<br /><br />If you are running too bow down the reducing the pressure (at the plate bracket only) will cure this. This adjustment will not change the angle (25 degrees). The angle is adjusted at the transom bracket at the top of the actuator.
Yes, while in the water, I was able to reach over and pull the transome brackts adjustments uo to raise the tabs, and after out of the water I was able to reset the tab bracket pushing the actuator in (closer to the boat) to alive downward pressure, but have not been out yet to note the new lessor presure settings' performance. I'm with you. I had them set to the middle all day. I now have them set at the lowest pressure position, and feel that this will make a difference at the bow... hoping it will rise up just a bit for an optimum plane. I probably wont be able to rreport back now untill next sunday afternoon... sorry.<br /><br />Edit: >> but understand that this is both an adheasive as well as a sealant.<br /><br /><br />Yes, I was going to pull the plate screws and the plate off, then the tape... fill the holes and the cavities with 5200 and reapply the plate hinge by driving the screws into the 5200 itself, bonding everything together, screws, hing plate, etc. I guess what you are sawing is that once I do this repair, it will be permenent? due to the adheasive qualities of the 5200?

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I put the links in as URLs using the
tools. They should work now.
Inthesticksnow - sorry, but the picture links still do not work as we do not have access to your private area on yahoo. When we try to access it, we still get the following message:<br /><br />"Yahoo<br />Forbidden <br />You do not have permission to get the requested URL from this server."<br /><br /><br />I think you will need to post your pictures somewhere else, like your homepage, or hello, photobucket or some other hosting service.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Chmaferring the holes is a must!!! In fact, I chamferred deep enough that the entire diameter of the screws passed through the gelcoat layer without touching. That was the only way to prevent gelcoat cracks. The hinges covered the holes when installed and I used a 3M sealant to fill the holes as well as the tape. <br /><br /> I WANTED the screws to turn in tight- I wanted nothing to loosen up and rip out. I added the sealant to the holes and the screws when I did the final installation and feel very confident that it will last.<br /><br /> I have now had the tabs on the boat for a couple months and have put over 100 miles on my boat. I find that my mileage has gone up, my slow speed planing is very pleasant, my high speed turning is better and, most of all, my low speed wander has disappeared completely. Top end didn't change much but that is another topic. <br /><br /> My suggestion to anyone doing the install is to drill the first hole in your boat in an area that can be easily repaired/covered up. I did one of the lower holes first to judge how deep I had to chamfer. I'm glad I did it that way because it showed me how to do the rest of the install. <br /><br />UFM82

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry, the links should work now because I shared the folder. I hope this is ok, now...???

inthesticksnow

Petty Officer 3rd Class

>>> Yes, I was going to pull the plate screws and the plate off, then the tape... fill the holes and the cavities with 5200 and reapply the plate hinge by driving the screws into the 5200 itself, bonding everything together, screws, hing plate, etc. I guess what you are saying is that once I do this repair, it will be permanent? due to the adhesive qualities of the 5200?<br /><br />NautiJohn? Am I correct about this? (Sorry, I am not a salty pro) Am I on to the correct method of repair? If the adhesive quality is something to consider, I’m not sure I get what the consideration is… I might not be able to remove the tabs?<br /><br />Also… I’d consider adding something to your instruction sheet regarding this issue. <br /><br />I did not drive the screws by hand, and I doubt many others would do so. Unfortunately for me, I found out about the counter-sinking after the fact…

stevens

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Again, sorry, but the links still do not work. I also tried copying the full path name for one of the pictures into the address field of IE, but it would still not open.<br /><br />In my case, the electric drill was not strong enough to drive in the screws so I had to finish it off by hand. It was hard, and I ended up with a blister from the screwdriver. At least those screws will not leak or come loose!

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

inthesticksnow;<br /><br />3M5200 is about the best sealant and adheasive on the market. My comment regarding the its use is that the removal in the future if required for some reason would be more difficult. I do not know if I would remove the tabs to fill the chipped area that is not covered by the hinge, I would more likely use the 5200 sparingly to fill arround the hinge. trim excess sealant material that we provided before hand.