Hydraulic trailer brake options - electric actuators?

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am ordering a new boat and things are hinging on the trailer details at the moment. I got the supplier to custom make the trailer - extra axle - but they don't offer an electric over hydraulic actuator. Does anyone have experience with them? What are some good options? What should I steer away from? Is there anything to be aware of in the conversion process between surge and electric over hydraulic?

alldodge

Staff member
Opinion
If your in fresh water only I would go with electric, if your in salt then EOH would be better. Surge breaks do work fine and more so if they are disk for small to medium size boats. One main drawbacks with EOH is the assembly can not be repaired it has to be replaced. No one sells parts for the unit and probably because of the liability concerns

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I myself prefer surge brakes as the tow vehicle doesnt need a brake controller

KC8QVO

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the info. Every truck I've had the last 12-13 years has bad a brake controller - I put the first one in my 1/2 ton way back then all my super duties have been built in.

As far as replacement parts - there is more than one manufacturer that makes electric over hydraulic actuators. I suppose I'll have to research them a little bit more and see what I can find.

I don't want surge because I can't control them.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I will answer since I actually have an EOH on my trailer.

I have a Titan Electric/hydraulic controller on the Wellcraft trailer in my signature. I wanted to use Kodiak Disk brakes and no surge since I wanted to use a weight distributing hitch. Although there are WDH's made to work with surge brakes, they don't work as well with them on.

The downside is that if someone else wants to tow your trailer, they have to have a controller in their vehicle. There are no other downsides.

I hate drum brakes. One of the reasons, I would never but electric drum brakes on a boat trailer.

Many high dollar 5th wheel Mfrs are putting EOH along with disc brakes on their trailers.
brake.jpg

Last edited: