Hummingbirds, no not the fish locator type

gm280

Supreme Mariner
ondarvr and MRS, where do the hummingbird sleep? I ask that because hummingbirds, unlike other birds, actually fall into a hibernating type sleep every night. And they reduce their heart rates and need for energy and oxygen. BUT they have a seriously hard time to come out of it in the morning when they are waking back up. And that is when most hummingbirds die trying to wake back up. With the temps that low, it would seem to put even more stress on them waking up in the morning in such freezing weather condition and that is why they fly south in the winter. Have either of you contacted a hummingbird research center near you to tell them about your unique situations? They may really be interested in it. JMHO

MRS

Commander
Oh no new troubles Alley cat discovered the Humming birds. Have to move the barbeque now.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
What type hummingbirds do you guys have coming to the feeders this time of the year? We only have Ruby Throated Hummingbirds in our area, when the are around. Just wondering...

The cat looking reminds me of Tweety Bird and Sylvester and the old lady whacking him in the head with her broom until he spit out Tweety Bird out.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Snow and Hummingbirds.

There's an eagle at the waters edge on the other side of the river too, hard to see, just a black dot on the phone cam.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Snow and Hummingbirds.

There's an eagle at the waters edge on the other side of the river too, hard to see, just a black dot on the phone cam.

That is truly amazing. I would have never thought they would stay around in the winter. Wonder why ours flies south in the fall? :noidea:

MRS

Commander
Not sure what they are but they have a black and white collar around there neck. With a touch of red.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Not sure what they are but they have a black and white collar around there neck. With a touch of red.

I did some research and while I was misinformed to think we only had Ruby Throated Hummingbirds around middle Georgia, seems we have nice different species. And they even say some species do stay in Georgia in the winter. In fact they ask folks to report any Hummingbird they see during the winter for collecting more information about their lives. So maybe I need to put our feeders back up. IDK They do say that the typical Ruby Throated Hummingbird normally migrate to South America when the day length gets shorter. And that it was the day length and not the temperature that controls their migration. Who knew? :noidea:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Anna's Hummingbirds, Calypte anna - Native year-round residents - Usually found in suburban parks, gardens and coastal valleys. Some Anna's Hummingbirds are resident where food (flowers and feeders) and shelter is readily available. Anna's may move seasonally to make best use of local resources, such as flowering seasons or availability of feeders - these movements are usually more to elevation than to latitude. They are relatively common in the Puget Trough; uncommon in the West Cascades; and rare in the East Cascades and along the Pacific Northwest Coast.
The largest hummingbird in that region; and the most vocal hummingbirds in the United States, where it is the only species to produce a song; specifically the males produce a complex series of scratchy noises, sounding like a sharp "chee-chee-chee; when moving from flower to flower, they emit toneless "chip" vocalizations. All other hummingbirds in the United States are mostly silent.
They are well known for their territorial behavior; the male makes elaborate dive displays at other birds and sometimes even at people. At the bottom of their dives, they produce high-pitched loud popping sounds with their tail feathers.
Males have glossy dark rose-red throats and crowns, which may appear black or dark purple in low light. The underside is mostly greyish; and the back metallic green.

Females have light grey chests with white and red spotting on the throat, greenish back and white tipped tails.

They resemble the Costa's Hummingbirds, but the male's Costa's Hummingbird's gorget (throat feathers) is longer than that of the Anna's. They are larger than the Rufous Hummingbirds and lack the rusty coloration of the Rufous Hummingbirds.

sam60

Captain
No Title

We've had several mornings in the teens here in the Mojave. This one had no booties on at 55 degrees F. Pic from 12-28-16.

Attachments

• photo256980.JPG
    photo256980.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 0

sam60

Captain
No fish in the back yard and you'd lose a lot of lures in the creosote and sagebrush. :fish:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well here it is March. And we decided to put up one feeder just to see if any hummingbirds were already here. And we did this a few days ago, and guess what? We have two already feeding regularly. Both are males and there are already here this early. Who would have thought. :noidea:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The hummingbird juice would still freeze at nite around here....... I suppose i could bring it in.. Haven't seen a robin yet. Although, someone had15 3hrs north of here, go figure.....

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The Robins showed up yesterday, I don't expect hummers for at least a month.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Was looking at my feeders this afternoon ... Guess it's about time to start feeding the squirrels ... :D

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Six at our feeder right now, it's always busy at first light and sundown.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Haven't seen any hummers here. Must be too hot. It was 93 here today!! :eek: :faint2:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Was looking at my feeders this afternoon ... Guess it's about time to start feeding the squirrels ... :D

Feeding squirrels? If they get any bigger, I could saddle them and ride them. Well maybe not quite that big, but we have so many that they could use a good thinning out. And that will happen IF they become a problem with anything around the house or shop. Now hard to count 6, 7, or even 10 out at a time. :eek: