hummingbird fish finder

mtorts

Seaman
hey guys i am thinking of upgrading my fish finder and would like something with a gps built in. There are several options and it seems the best in my price range is the hummingbird 587 ci. Just wanted to hear your opionion on this model and on hummingbird as well. I have heard there customer service is far better than lowrance is this true?? Any advice would help thanks.

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: hummingbird fish finder

Can't tell you about their customer service since I've never needed to call. I've got a 727 w/gps. You do understand that you'll have to purchase the GPS receiver/antenna separately? Which is another 120.00 roughly. Most of those style Humminbirds don't come with it, so you can't use that function until you purchase the 16 channel receiver/antenna for it. I might be wrong but I'd check that out when you're going to purchase a unit to see if it's included in the package price.

mtorts

Seaman

o.k thanks great point. I automatically assumed everything was included. For the price we are paying for these units u would think they would be set up and ready to go

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mtorts,

Another thing, I haven't had a bit of trouble with my unit. I would say if you're removing the unit after each use, I'd mark the plugs with a color code and also mark the top of each connector on the wires so you know how they plug in, you can easily force the plug in the wrong direction and cause the connecting hub to be bent out of shape, then the plug connection starts to get loose and will cause problems getting your depth finder/fish finder to turn on. I've heard of several people that had this happen. They should plug in fairly easy so don't put any force behind plugging them in, if they don't seem to be sliding into the connection hub, recheck the plug design to the connection hub and make sure you're plugging into the correct connection (this is the reason to color code the plugs and mark the top of each plug) That also helps if you're launching in low light conditions (early morning or late evening)
There's a face cover that comes with the unit....use it. If you remove the unit each trip, use the cover. I found a small hard case that was a little larger than my Humminbird and I lined it with foam and then cut out the shape of the depth-finder so it sits right in the case tight (with the unit's face cover on) and I can shut the case. Then I just put it in the gang box I have on my pontoon to store it.
When mounting the transducer, read the instruction and then re-read them on the location to mount the transducer. If not mounted correctly you could lose sonar beam going as slow as 12-15 mph or if too close to drive unit it could cause it not to correctly work at all. Plus you don't want to have to drill a second set of holes in your transom due to misplacing the unit the first time. Good luck with whichever model you decide to get, post back when you do get it and are mounting it. I'd like to hear how you like it also.

mtorts

Seaman

River Lizard once again great advice. My boat is going to stay in a well at a local marina so i most likely will be removing the unit each and every trip so thanks for the tip. I am leaning towards the 587 ci hd di. I really like the downward imaging however i still have to figure out if it comes with the receiver/ antenna. I think im getting it either way LOL. I will get back to you when it is purchased and hooked up. Thanks again

mtorts

Seaman

i just found out it does have a internal gps antenna, i assume the receiver to. And its still on sale a cabelas SWEET :)

TerryMSU

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Assuming you are looking at the 587CI HD Combo, it will come with the GPS. I doubt very much that it comes with the cover that River Lizzard memntioned. I have the big brother (597 HD DI Combo) and like it very much. Be prepared to spend some time on getting it fine tuned. Also, the internal maps are almost worthless. The GPS still I bought the Lakemaster maps for Michigan and they are awesome. The screen is a little small on the 587, and it does not have the option for DI. If Cabela's is getting $479, that sounds a little high to me. Shop around. See what you can get from iboats and other options (which I cannot mention here). I would still try to get iBoats to price match what you get as a best price.

TerryMSU

River_Lizard

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mtorts,

When you get the unit, check utube and do a search for tuning humminbird. There should be several video on how to tune the unit using a 1/8th or 3/8th jig on a rod and reel lowered behind the transducer. If you can't locate it, PM me and I'll find it and give you the link.
Definitely would like to hear some feedback once you get it setup and use it for a month or so.

sprintst

Commander

I bought the 788ci combo last year but haven't hooked it up yet. This one also has the internal gps and comes with the white Hummingbird snap on cover.

Support has been great as I cracked the mounting base for the transducer and they sent me another one free of charge. Make sure to register your unit with Hummingbird and you can download updated firmware, etc. I'm hoping to set mine up soon and update the firmware from an sd card once I get it powered up.

Not sure eventually if we should start another thread but we might be able to keep the thread alive with tuning tips, how to's, etc. I'll see if I can dig up the tuning video link and post it.

mtorts

Seaman

Hey guys i looked on youtube for the tuning video and couldn't find it. If you have it could you send me the link.

mtorts

Seaman

Forgot to mention that i don't have the unit yet but i will post some feedback once i get it and use it a couple times.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

I have the 587 and it has internal gps. No extras to needed .I like it,and it has gotten me through an area where I could have gotten lost without it!