Hummingbird fish finder help

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer
I have a Piranhamax 160 by Hummingbird; it?s about 3 years old. I want to know if it will accept a speed or temp sensor. I see an additional plug in the back of it that I think may be for that. I have checked on line, even on Hummingbirds site, and cannot seem to identify whether it takes accessories.

How accurate are these fishfinders, are there a lot of false readings? Are more expensive finders more accurate?

Part numbers and links would be great!

Last edited:

KDAVID1

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Hummingbird fish finder help

I think it will. The current transducer should already have temp (but you can add if in hull mounted)
I can't find the part number that will work either but you could call Hum. and they will help you out.
I have one of these on the front of my Ranger and it works very well. I initially had it on the dash (while I was figuring out where I wanted things) It didn't work as well at speed (went with the 570 on the dash--it has more power and works better reading the bottom above 45mph) But I really love the 160. If you play with it a bit (the sensitivity and such) you can see most of what you need to (structure, baitfish, fish, etc).

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

No, none of the Pmax units come with the speed option. The speed option without the GPS isn't very accurate anyway, it's a paddle wheel type and doesn't work at low speed.If you want accurate speed readings get a small hand held GPS unit.

the vision

Petty Officer 2nd Class

moto_0167.jpgmoto_0173.jpgThe slot in the middle is for temperature. Customer Resource center 1-800-633-1468 or www.humminbird.com. This info came from my manual for my new 160 that came with my new boat. I don't see any part #s but I'll look again.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Ok, I have a garmin to track my speed. I will order the temp sensor next.

Rick.

Captain

as said above, the transducer that came with it should give you temp. readings. Best of luck. Rick.

brianvolt7

Chief Petty Officer

Yes the unit already tells the temp. Thanks all! Speed with my garmin.

Now if I can just get them to bite!