Hull Plug delima?

cmchesse

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am still riding this newbie ride.

Both my father are 1st time boat owners. And as boats go, the hull designs are totaly different. His boat has a low bow and seems long and sleek and is fully open. Mine has a high bow and a closed compartment for the fuel tanks and batteries. Both run outboards. At the ramp the other day we had a disagrement on putting the plug in the hull.

My father said it was a chore to reach down in the bilge and put the plug on the inside. He put his in from outside but made sure the handle did not hang below the bottow of the hull.

With a closed area in the stern of my boat I find it even more difficult to reach the bilge, (I make my son do it) but feel the plug should be on the inside.

Which is the correct way to do it? I would be worried about something snagging it and pulling it out. In fact my father snagged a stick floating in the water. I had to pull along side to pull it free from the power tilt on his boat.

bhammer

Ensign
Re: Hull Plug delima?

I have never heard of a plug coing out but then, I don;t know many people that use the flip down type. Pick up one of hte t handle types and put it in from the outside. Just IMHO.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

IMG_3268.jpg

IMG_3266-1.jpg

$25 includes shipping

RyanSS

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use a T-handle on the outside. Always have and everyone i've ever boated with has either done the same or used the square head style posted right above me.

ziggy

Admiral

i think it's a whatever ya wanna do thing...
i've done some outboards from the inside. both had easy access from the inside. worked great for a self bailer too. a little fwd. motion and pull the plug. instant auto bilge pump....
both i/o's i've had i do from the outside. i use the t-handle type. but have several spares of the flip type. one thing about doing it from the outside is that while at rest. water pressure is pushing the plug tight into the boat. from the inside. water pressure is trying to push the plug out of the hole....

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I put mine in form the outside also. Think of it this way. The water pressure from the outside trys to push the plug into the boat with the plug on the outside. This would make it tighter.

With the plug on the iside the water still push on the plug but will try to push it out inside the boat.

I only seen one plug come out in my life and it was the wrong size plug for the boat it was installed in.

Just make sure you have a spare and put it in from the outside before launching. Better yet get a screw in type plug.