Hull Painting

waterwezl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I read somewhere on here that gel-coat would act like a primer and that if your boat is to be trailered then primer was completely unnecessary. My trailer has bunks and I am working on repairing some stress cracks on the bottom of the hull. Does this mean that I only need to primer the repairs or is it recommended to primer the entire hull prior to painting? I do not wish to do this again any time soon so all the advise I can get would be greatly appreciated.

And as for paint...gloss or semi-gloss? Been debating this for some time and figured semi would be easier to roll and make a neater job.

erikgreen

Captain
Re: Hull Painting

If you don't want to do it again for a long time, I definitely recommend primer, and a good one, probably an epoxy based marine primer.

Likewise on the paint, buy a good marine paint (it's expensive, but covers very well) like Interlux or Pettit brands.

If you want it to look glossy and smooth, make sure you spend the time needed for prep.

If it was me, painting a hull with dings, I'd clean (with acetone), sand and fair the whole hull first, using something like marine tex to fill the dings, then two coats of epoxy and 2-3 coats of a good marine epoxy or enamel.

If you want to go cheaper, use automotive paint. But you still need to do the prep.

If it's a throwaway boat or one you don't want to spend a ton of cash on, do the sanding and prep then use something like rust-oleum marine paint. It'll look ok, not great.

Erik

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Well prep'd gel coat is a very good surface for most paints to bond to, and for the most part, primer is not needed for it to stick very well. Primer may be needed for other things though, like filling all the imperfections in the surface, or to act as a barrier coat to help keep water from penetrating the hull.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well preped gel coat is a very good surface for most paints to bond to, and for the most part, primer is not needed for it to stick very well. Primer may be needed for other thing though, like filling all the imperfections in the surface, or to act as a barrier coat to help keep water from penetrating the hull.

Agreed i have painted a 3" stripe 36' in total lenght and after 2 years no delamination and no visible difference what so ever between the paint with primer and non primed area.

From previous experience wipe down the hull with xylene thourghly prior to any sanding..maybe two or three time's...acetone just does not get it..;)

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Doh! Time for a solvent flame war :) ;)
:rolleyes:

nuclear_bomb_explosion.jpg

Next....:D

Actually acetone flashes off a bit to quickly to cut off impurities...been there done that.I hope no one experience's fish eye's after shooting there 1st coat...damm upsetting after say 50 hours of prep..:redface:

erikgreen

Captain

That looks like a xylene fireball :)

I'd actually recommend cleaning with whatever chemicals you're comfortable with, acetone or otherwise. Some manufacturers provide a cleaning solvent for their particular line of paint which they recommend for use in prep for their products... it's usually expensive, but it does make sure that they're on the hook for answering questions about problems with the paint.